How can I change this y=2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2)

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses how to change the equation y=2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2) in terms of y, as x=... The participants suggest multiplying by 6, factoring out x^(1/2), and using the cubic formula to solve the equation. They also discuss the importance of using parentheses to clarify the equation's meaning and mention an alternative approach using z = \sqrt{x}. Some participants also mention the importance of clearly stating the desired variable to solve for.
gigi9
Help please!

How can I change this y=2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2) in term of y, as x=...?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I hate fractions, so multiply through by 6. Factor out x1/2 on the right. Square each side. Expand the squared terms, distribute the x, subtract 36y2 from each side and apply the cubic formula (I don't know what it is but I know it exists).

StephenPrivitera was assuming you meant

y= (2/3)x^(3/2)-(1/2)x^(1/2).

What you wrote could as easily be interpreted as

y= 2/(3x^(3/2)-1/(2x^(1/2))).

Please use parentheses to make your meaning clear.

In a bit more detail, what he said was: multiply the equation by 6 to get
6y= 4x^(3/2)- 3x^(1/2)= (4x- 3)x^(1/2)
so
36y^2= (4x-3)^2(x)= (16x^2- 24x+ 9)x
= 16x^3- 24x^2+ 9x

Which you can write as 16x^3- 24x^2+ 9x- 36y^2= 0 and solve as a cubic equation.

(You can see I have absolutely nothing to do this morning. Well, nothing I want to do!)

The easiest approach is not to square each side but instead to subsitute [tex]z = \sqrt{x}[/tex] which leads directly to the reduced cubic of,

[tex] 4 z^3 - 3 z - 6 y = 0 [/tex]

I have to solve the equation 2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2) for "X", as x=...

Yes, that was what you said before and you got three replies telling you how to do that.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
StephenPrivitera was assuming you meant

y= (2/3)x^(3/2)-(1/2)x^(1/2).

What you wrote could as easily be interpreted as

y= 2/(3x^(3/2)-1/(2x^(1/2))).
I always assume calculator syntax if it's unclear.

1. What does the equation y=2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2) represent?

The equation represents a curve on a graph, where the y-coordinate is equal to 2/3 times the square root of the x-coordinate cubed, minus 1/2 times the square root of the x-coordinate.

2. How can I graph the equation y=2/3x^(3/2)-1/2x^(1/2)?

To graph the equation, you can plot specific points by choosing values for x and solving for y. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to visualize the curve.

3. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, the equation can be simplified to y=x^(1/2)(2/3x-1/2), which may make it easier to graph or manipulate.

4. How can I find the x-intercepts of this equation?

To find the x-intercepts, set y=0 and solve for x. In this case, you will have two solutions, one at x=0 and one at x=9/4.

5. What is the domain and range of this equation?

The domain of the equation is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0. The range is all real numbers greater than or equal to -0.5.