1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I check my answers?

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    i hope this is the correct place to post this..

are there any other technical ways, besides dimensional analysis, to check your answers in physics and engineering problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2
    Many problems have different methods of obtaining a solution---you can use one to check another. Very often there are ways of estimating the correct solution to confirm that yours is consistent. Generally it depends on the situation.

Sometimes you can check the back of the book or google as-well. ;)

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I moved this thread over to the General Physics forum since it wasn't really a homework-type question.

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    well if you ever get a velocity of more than 3x10^8 m/s you know your answer is probably not right :D

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When I have an expression that applies to a general case, I like to check specific cases where I know what the answer should be and confirm if I get the expected result.

Another thing you can do is make sure quantities vary as expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook