Efficient Ways to Verify Answers in Physics and Engineering Problems

• Thread starter ENgez
  • Start date
In summary, there are multiple ways to check answers in physics and engineering problems, such as using different methods to obtain a solution, estimating the correct solution, checking the back of the book or using Google, and making sure quantities vary as expected. It is important to confirm the consistency of the solution and to check specific cases to ensure the expected result is obtained.
ENgez
i hope this is the correct place to post this..

are there any other technical ways, besides dimensional analysis, to check your answers in physics and engineering problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many problems have different methods of obtaining a solution---you can use one to check another. Very often there are ways of estimating the correct solution to confirm that yours is consistent. Generally it depends on the situation.

Sometimes you can check the back of the book or google as-well. ;)

ENgez said:
i hope this is the correct place to post this..
I moved this thread over to the General Physics forum since it wasn't really a homework-type question.

well if you ever get a velocity of more than 3x10^8 m/s you know your answer is probably not right :D

When I have an expression that applies to a general case, I like to check specific cases where I know what the answer should be and confirm if I get the expected result.

Another thing you can do is make sure quantities vary as expected.

1. How can I check my answers for accuracy?

One way to check your answers is to go through each step of your solution and make sure it is correct. You can also use online tools or ask a friend or teacher to review your work.

2. Is it important to check my answers?

Yes, it is important to check your answers to ensure that you have understood the question correctly and to avoid making mistakes. It also helps you to identify any areas where you may need more practice or clarification.

3. What should I do if my answers are incorrect?

If your answers are incorrect, try going back through your work to see where you may have made a mistake. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for help and clarification.

4. Are there any tips for checking my answers?

One tip for checking your answers is to work backwards from the solution to see if your steps and calculations are correct. You can also use estimation or plugging in your answer to the original equation to verify its accuracy.

5. How can I check my answers when solving equations?

When solving equations, you can check your answers by plugging them back into the equation and seeing if they make the equation true. You can also solve the equation using a different method or approach to verify your answer.