Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I create a 1Telsa uniform magnetic field?

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    I am working on an experiment with a relatively high powered uniform magnetic field... and need to get at least 1 Tesla for it to work.

I am familiar with the theories around how these fields can be created, but am curious if in practical application how one would do it.

Is there a place I can purchase this style equipment?

Is there a way I can manufacture this field myself?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    1 tesla is pretty large. what sort of experiment is it?

you can take a 1000 turn solenoid and pump 796 amps through it! :tongue2: :devil: :smile:
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums robert135 and dtang0!

How large is the volume in which you need the field? How uniform? Over what time period do you need this field?

Some suggestions: 1) those expensive things some modern hospitals have, to do NMR imaging; 2) the magnets they use in big particle accelerators, to keep the beams going round the racetrack, or to generate synchrotron radiation.
  5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    If I used a solenoid as far as I can remember the Formula is MU s-zero * N * I
    and Mu s-zero is pretty darn small....

I know only so much about how to step up amps.. and while I doubt I could pull off 700+ amps, I could pull off a fraction of that I believe rather easily.

I am trying to test reactions on various objects placed within a large magnetic field. I The volume of area needed would be around 4 inches cubed. That would at least allow me to work with enough space to get stuff in the field.
  6. Apr 18, 2005 #5
    thanks! im already enjoying my stay!
  7. Apr 18, 2005 #6
    You need a water cooled resistive magnet. I think it is kind of expensive if you want to have it at home.You may check price for a used equipment.
    Otherwise , NMR superconducting magnets in physics labs are sometimes idling, and they have very large bore. The problem here is that they will not allow you to change the field strength.
  8. May 19, 2011 #7
    Hi robert
    excuse me
    I am a geologist and I am going to manufacture magnetic feild fordetachment metalic minrals , so I and some my freind want to make this feild by one machine.
    can you help me?
    tank you...
  9. May 20, 2011 #8
    I have worked with many types of magnets. Critical is the volume of the required field. If it is just a few mm^3 you may get away with a permanent magnet with a focusing pole piece. If you need more like some cm^3 we're talking about electromagnets, power hungry, big, unstable. If you need cm3 to dm3 only supeconducting magnets are sensible. It is rather attractive to buy a second hand superconducting NMR specrometer and tune the field down to the required range. You need to be used to handling liquid helium and nitrogen though. The spectrometers can be adjusted ("shimmed") to ppb homogeneity. Homogeneity is also an important factor. If you give some info on volumes I can tell you more about this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?