What is the velocity of a 178 gram object thrown 97 meters?

• Thread starter Sevenzzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the velocity of a 178 gram object (softball, 11inch diameter) thrown 97 meters cannot be accurately determined without more information. To find the speed, the distance traveled over time is needed. If looking for the final velocity, the initial velocity can be assumed to be zero since the object is thrown. However, without knowing the vertical displacement or time in the air, the final vertical velocity cannot be determined. The horizontal velocity also cannot be accurately determined due to multiple unknown factors. More information is needed for an accurate calculation.
Sevenzzz
What is the velocity of a 178 gram object (softball, 11inch diameter) thrown 97 meters. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is vector (magnitude [speed] and direction). I assume you want the speed.
To find speed you need to know the distance traveled over time (least for average speed). Unless you are figuring out force, you don't need mass. So give me a time and I'll give you an average horizontal speed. If you truly want to find VeLoCiTy you need to know a lot more like change in y displacement and an angle and how you threw the ball.

i think its much easier than tht..but my question is which velocity do you want to find: the initial or the final velocity?

i am guessing it is the final velocity. so the initial velocity will be zero since the object is thrown. The acceleration is 9.8m/sq. sec. And we know the distance. So using the formula V^2- u^2=2as. hence we can find the final velocity. Its best you check with some expert.

I don't think we can determine the actual velocity based on the information given. I believe you can only have an initial vertical velocity is zero if: the ball is thrown horizontally, or the ball is dropped from somewhere, or you are told it is zero. So, if we assume the ball is thrown horizontally, we still cannot determine the final vertical velocity as we do not know either how far vertically it moved, or for how long it was in the air.

As to horizontal velocity, there doesn't seem to be enough information to get an actual velocity. With all the unknowns, I think we can make a formula, but not determine the value.

Perhaps one of the experts has the key.

Sevenzzz said:
What is the velocity of a 178 gram object (softball, 11inch diameter) thrown 97 meters. Can anyone help?
Need more information.

If on earth, the local acceleration of gravity, g = 9.8 m/s2.

Is ball thrown vertically or horizontally or at some angle with respect to horizontal?

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How can velocity be calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation velocity = displacement / time. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying the object's speed by its direction.

3. What units are used to measure velocity?

The standard unit of velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h), feet per second (ft/s), and miles per hour (mph) may also be used depending on the context.

4. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually slightly different. While speed only measures how fast an object is moving, velocity takes into account the direction of movement as well. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocity if they are moving in different directions.

5. How do you find the average velocity of an object?

The average velocity of an object can be found by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken. This gives the overall velocity of the object over a given period of time. It can also be calculated by finding the slope of the displacement-time graph for the object.