1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i differentiate this ?

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    I wonder if this can be differentiated ,if it can then what is the derivative of
    [x^x^x^x^x^x.....]^[(x^2)^(x^2)^(x^2).....]^[(x^3)^(x^3)^(x^3).....]^[(x^4)^(x^5)...]......................
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    what do all the dots mean? What order do you want the exponentiation in (it's not associative)?

4. May 4, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From left to right i guess.I assume it resembles power tower.

Daniel.

5. May 4, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power tower:

[tex]y(x)=x^{x^{x^. . .}}}[/tex]

is defined for:

[tex]e^{-e}\leq x\leq e^{1/e}[/tex]

Note that the upper limit for a power tower is about 1.44467. However above, you're using "2" and larger values, you know [itex]x^2[/itex] and more. Thus I claim the expression is 0 for x<1, 1 for x=1, and infinity for x>1. It's derivative therefore is zero for [itex]0\leq x\leq 1[/itex] and undefined for x>1.

However, I've just started looking at it and wouldn't bet more than a dollar.

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    Here's a better question - "Can you draw the graph of it ?"

If you cannot draw a graph of that thing, then chances are pretty good that you cant differentiate it either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?