How can i differentiate this ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the power tower function y(x)=x^{x^{x...}} and its derivative for different values of x. The upper limit for a power tower is approximately 1.44467, and the conversation also mentions using larger values such as x^2 and above. It is concluded that the function is 0 for x<1, 1 for x=1, and infinity for x>1, with a derivative of 0 for 0≤x≤1 and undefined for x>1. The possibility of graphing the function is also brought up as a potential challenge.
abia ubong
I wonder if this can be differentiated ,if it can then what is the derivative of
[x^x^x^x^x^x...]^[(x^2)^(x^2)^(x^2)...]^[(x^3)^(x^3)^(x^3)...]^[(x^4)^(x^5)...]......
thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do all the dots mean? What order do you want the exponentiation in (it's not associative)?

From left to right i guess.I assume it resembles power tower.

Daniel.

The power tower:

[tex]y(x)=x^{x^{x^. . .}}}[/tex]

is defined for:

[tex]e^{-e}\leq x\leq e^{1/e}[/tex]

Note that the upper limit for a power tower is about 1.44467. However above, you're using "2" and larger values, you know [itex]x^2[/itex] and more. Thus I claim the expression is 0 for x<1, 1 for x=1, and infinity for x>1. It's derivative therefore is zero for [itex]0\leq x\leq 1[/itex] and undefined for x>1.

However, I've just started looking at it and wouldn't bet more than a dollar.

Here's a better question - "Can you draw the graph of it ?"

If you cannot draw a graph of that thing, then chances are pretty good that you can't differentiate it either.

1. How can I differentiate between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data refers to descriptive information that cannot be measured or quantified, such as opinions, beliefs, and emotions. Quantitative data, on the other hand, refers to numerical data that can be measured and analyzed, such as height, weight, and test scores. To differentiate between the two, ask yourself if the data is numerical or non-numerical, and if it can be measured or not.

2. What is the difference between dependent and independent variables?

A dependent variable is a variable that is affected by changes in the independent variable. It is the outcome or result that is being measured. An independent variable is a variable that is manipulated or controlled by the researcher. It is the cause or factor that is being studied. To differentiate between the two, ask yourself if the variable is being changed or if it is changing on its own.

3. How do I differentiate between a hypothesis and a research question?

A hypothesis is a statement that predicts the relationship between two variables while a research question is a broad inquiry about a topic. A hypothesis is more specific and testable, while a research question is open-ended and guides the research process. To differentiate between the two, ask yourself if the statement is making a prediction or simply asking a question.

4. Can you explain the difference between a population and a sample?

A population refers to the entire group of individuals or objects that a researcher is interested in studying, while a sample is a smaller subset of the population that is actually studied. The population is usually too large to study in its entirety, so a sample is chosen to represent the population. To differentiate between the two, ask yourself if the data is collected from the entire group or just a smaller portion.

5. How can I differentiate between primary and secondary sources?

Primary sources are original, first-hand accounts of an event or topic, while secondary sources are interpretations or analyses of primary sources. Primary sources can include interviews, surveys, and original research articles, while secondary sources can include textbooks, literature reviews, and news articles. To differentiate between the two, ask yourself if the source is reporting on an event or topic directly or if it is analyzing information from other sources.