Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i differentiate this ?

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    I wonder if this can be differentiated ,if it can then what is the derivative of
    [x^x^x^x^x^x.....]^[(x^2)^(x^2)^(x^2).....]^[(x^3)^(x^3)^(x^3).....]^[(x^4)^(x^5)...]......................
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2
    what do all the dots mean? What order do you want the exponentiation in (it's not associative)?

4. May 4, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From left to right i guess.I assume it resembles power tower.

Daniel.

5. May 4, 2005 #4

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The power tower:

[tex]y(x)=x^{x^{x^. . .}}}[/tex]

is defined for:

[tex]e^{-e}\leq x\leq e^{1/e}[/tex]

Note that the upper limit for a power tower is about 1.44467. However above, you're using "2" and larger values, you know [itex]x^2[/itex] and more. Thus I claim the expression is 0 for x<1, 1 for x=1, and infinity for x>1. It's derivative therefore is zero for [itex]0\leq x\leq 1[/itex] and undefined for x>1.

However, I've just started looking at it and wouldn't bet more than a dollar.

6. May 9, 2005 #5
    Here's a better question - "Can you draw the graph of it ?"

If you cannot draw a graph of that thing, then chances are pretty good that you cant differentiate it either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?