How can i evaluate trig functions?

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating trig functions on a calculator. The person is unsure about how to do it and is asking for help. The expert suggests using the [COS] button and multiplying by 0.5 to determine the values of d(t) for different values of t. They also mention that if the person meant to solve for t, they may have an issue with their calculator.
preet
however stupid it sounds, I don't know how to evaluate trig functions with my calculator... ex.

d(t) =0.5cos2t

how do i solve for t (lets say t is 2). Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are asking. It would appear that you don't want to "solve" for t but you want to determine the values of d(t) for various values of t.

If that's the case, enter a value of t into your calculator, mutiply it by 2, press the [COS] button and multiply the result by 0.5. That will give you the value of d for the specifice value of t you entered. Repeat for different values of t as often as needed.

If you actually meant "solve for t" then you have a real problem with your standard calculator!

what calculator have u got??

1. How do I evaluate trigonometric functions?

To evaluate trigonometric functions, you need to use the values of the given angles and apply them to the corresponding trigonometric ratios. These ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent, which can be found on a unit circle or using a calculator. Simply plug in the angle value into the appropriate function to find the trigonometric value.

2. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are the three primary trigonometric functions used to find the relationships between angles and sides of a right triangle. Sine (sin) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine (cos) represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent (tan) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

3. Can I use a calculator to evaluate trigonometric functions?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the ability to evaluate trigonometric functions. Look for buttons labeled "sin," "cos," and "tan" to input the angle and get the corresponding trigonometric value. Make sure your calculator is set to the correct angle unit (degrees or radians) before using.

4. How do I evaluate trigonometric functions of special angles?

Special angles, such as 30°, 45°, and 60°, have exact trigonometric values that can be found using special triangles or the unit circle. For example, the sine of 30° is 1/2, cosine of 45° is √2/2, and tangent of 60° is √3. Memorizing these values can make evaluating trigonometric functions easier.

5. What is the domain and range of trigonometric functions?

The domain of trigonometric functions is all real numbers, while the range depends on the specific function. Sine and cosine have a range of [-1, 1], while tangent has a range of (-∞, ∞). It is important to note that some trigonometric functions, such as secant (sec) and cosecant (csc), have restricted domains due to undefined values.