How can I find 544 mod 3 using congruence

• Thread starter Mathematicsresear
  • Start date
In summary: I disagree. There are many other approaches. Including the one that I have suggested, which is particularly simple in the case of mod 5.
Mathematicsresear

Homework Statement

Find 544 mod 3 using congruence

Homework Equations

a mod b and a is congruent to b mod n if and only if n divides a-b

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
544=54(10)+3 and we also know that 54 is congruent to 18 mod 3, now I'm not sure how to find the remainder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsresear said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a mod b and a is congruent to b mod n if and only if n divides a-b

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
544=54(10)+3 and we also know that 54 is congruent to 18 mod 3, now I'm not sure how to find the remainder.

Have you ever heard of long division?

Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK said:
Have you ever heard of long division?
Yes, that's not the problem. The problem is that why can 544 = 54x10 +4 be written as 54x10+4 is congruent to 0(10)+1 mod 3?

Why not just divide 544 by 3?

PeroK said:
Why not just divide 544 by 3?
Because the question requires me to use modular congruences only, plus I'm trying to understand the train of thought that was used in the solution.

Mathematicsresear said:
Because the question requires me to use modular congruences only.

What's a modular congruence?

Hint: If ##a \sim b## mod 3, then ##ca \sim cb## mod 3 for all ##c##. Use this to write ##544 = 5\cdot 100 + 4\cdot 10 + 4## and compute 100 mod 3 and 10 mod 3.

This is pretty straight-forward to show as ##ca-cb = c(a-b) = 3cn## for some integer ##n##.

PeroK said:
What's a modular congruence?

a is congruent to b mod n if and only if n divides a -b

Mathematicsresear said:
a is congruent to b mod n if and only if n divides a -b

Okay. But, where does that say you can't use long division? In fact, it specifically says "if ##n## divides ##a-b##". If that's not an invitation to divide I don't know what is!

PeroK said:
Okay. But, where does that say you can't use long division? In fact, it specifically says "if ##n## divides ##a-b##". If that's not an invitation to divide I don't know what is!
Well, one reason to not do it is that it is much much faster to use modular congruence if you know what you are doing here.

PeroK said:

I understand, but why is 544 congruent to 0(10)+1 mod 3, where did the 0(10) come from?

Mathematicsresear said:
I understand, but why is 544 congruent to 0(10)+1 mod 3, where did the 0(10) come from?
Did you read my post?

Orodruin said:
Did you read my post?
I just read it, I'm attempting to solve it now

Orodruin said:
Hint: If ##a \sim b## mod 3, then ##ca \sim cb## mod 3 for all ##c##. Use this to write ##544 = 5\cdot 100 + 4\cdot 10 + 4## and compute 100 mod 3 and 10 mod 3.

This is pretty straight-forward to show as ##ca-cb = c(a-b) = 3cn## for some integer ##n##.
100mod 3 is 1 and 10 mod 3 is 1

Mathematicsresear said:
100mod 3 is 1 and 10 mod 3 is 1
Right, and more generally ##10^n \sim 1## mod 3. Given what I said about ##ca \sim cb## mod 3 if ##a \sim b## mod 3, how does this help you to compute 544 mod 3?

Mathematicsresear said:

If you are trying to find ##a \mod n##, then you have two main approaches:

a) Divide ##a## by ##n## to find the remainder.

b) Reduce ##a## by "obvious" multiples of ##n## until you get a remainder.

For example, to find ##7,391 \mod 7##, say.

a) ##7391/7 = 1055## remainder ##6## (long division)

b) ##7,391 \mod 7 = 391 \mod 7## (because ##7,000## is divisible by ##7##)

##391 \mod 7 = 41 \mod 7## (because ##350## is divisible by ##7##)

##41 \mod 7 = 6 \mod 7## (because ##35## is divisible by ##7##)

Sometimes method b is easier, but if you're not sure what you're doing then you should always check by using long division.

PeroK said:
If you are trying to find ##a \mod n##, then you have two main approaches:

a) Divide ##a## by ##n## to find the remainder.

b) Reduce ##a## by "obvious" multiples of ##n## until you get a remainder.

For example, to find ##7,391 \mod 7##, say.

a) ##7391/7 = 1055## remainder ##6## (long division)

b) ##7,391 \mod 7 = 391 \mod 7## (because ##7,000## is divisible by ##7##)

##391 \mod 7 = 41 \mod 7## (because ##350## is divisible by ##7##)

##41 \mod 7 = 6 \mod 7## (because ##35## is divisible by ##7##)

Sometimes method b is easier, but if you're not sure what you're doing then you should always check by using long division.
I disagree. There are many other approaches. Including the one that I have suggested, which is particularly simple in the case of mod 3 ...

For example:
10 ~ 3 mod 7
Knowing this, 7391 ~ 0*27 + 3*9 + 6 + 1 ~ 3*2 + 6 + 1 = 13 ~ 6 mod 7.

Orodruin said:
For example:
10 ~ 3 mod 7
Knowing this, 7391 ~ 0*27 + 3*9 + 6 + 1 ~ 3*2 + 6 + 1 = 13 ~ 6 mod 7.
Thank you very much! I got it!

Mathematicsresear said:
Thank you very much! I got it!
So please share how it works out in the case of 544 mod 3. We cannot comment on the solution to the full solution to the actual problem until you do.

Orodruin said:
So please share how it works out in the case of 544 mod 3. We cannot comment on the solution to the full solution to the actual problem until you do.
I did it a bit differently, I said that since 544 is equal to 54(10)+4 and since 54 ~ 0 mod 3 then in order to make the 54(10)+4 term divisible by 3, I must make it congruent to 1 modulo 3. One more question, if I had something along the lines of x is congruent to... which is congruent to b (mod n), what does that mean?

Mathematicsresear said:
I did it a bit differently, I said that since 544 is equal to 54(10)+4 and since 54 ~ 0 mod 3 then in order to make the 54(10)+4 term divisible by 3, I must make it congruent to 1 modulo 3.
Yes, that works. However, for 3 (and 9) you have 10^n ~ 1 mod 3 (or 9). This makes it particularly simple to compute congruences for those two numbers as, for example,
544 ~ 5+4+4 = 13 ~ 1+3 ~ 1 mod 3
You simply add the digits of the number together and the result will be congruent to the original number. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Alternatively you can do a congruence of the digits with 3 first, i.e., 544 ~ 211 ~ 2+1+1 ~ 1 mod 3.

The simplest way for modulo 3 arithmetic is to just add up the digits 544 --> 5 + 4 + 4 = 13 ~ 1 (mod 3)
Another way that I don't think was discussed in the thread is to factor the number, using the idea that if a = b*c, then a (mod m) = b (mod m) * c (mod m)

##544 = 2^5 * 17## so ##544 (\mod~ 3) ~ [2^5 (\mod~ 3)] * 17 (\mod~ 3)##

As a side note, a technique called "casting out 9's" used to be taught as a way to check arithmetic. For example, if you had to do this addition:
35 + 52 + 38 + 28
Let's say you do the addition incorrectly and get 152.
Casting out 9's is equivalent to adding the digits of each number, continuing, if necessary until you get a single digit 0 through 8.
35 --> 8 (i.e., 35 (mod 9) = 8)
52 --> 7
38 --> 2
28 --> 10 --> 1
Add the values to the right: 8 + 7 + 2 + 1 = 18 ~ 0 (mod 9)
Add the digits of the answer we got earlier: 152 --> 8
Since the modular equivalence classes of the addends came to 0, and the modulus of the answer came to 8, there's a mistake.

As an additional side note, there's a fairly easy number theory proof that for a decimal number ##D = d_1d_2\dots d_n##, ##D (\mod~ 9) = (d_1 + d_2 + \dots + d_n) (\mod~ 9)##.

Mark44 said:
Another way that I don't think was discussed in the thread is to factor the number, using the idea that if a = b*c, then a (mod m) = b (mod m) * c (mod m)
I would say this is exactly what the OP used to conclude that 540 ~ 0 mod 3 ...

Mathematicsresear said:
I did it a bit differently, I said that since 544 is equal to 54(10)+4 and since 54 ~ 0 mod 3 then in order to make the 54(10)+4 term divisible by 3, I must make it congruent to 1 modulo 3. One more question, if I had something along the lines of x is congruent to... which is congruent to b (mod n), what does that mean?

Although there are many tricks and techniques for doing modular arithmetic, fundamentally ##a \mod n## means the remainder when you divide ##a## by ##n##.

If you, for whatever reason, don't accept that then this topic is always going to be more difficult and mysterious than it need be.

PeroK said:
Although there are many tricks and techniques for doing modular arithmetic, fundamentally ##a \mod n## means the remainder when you divide ##a## by ##n##.
I disagree. The (mod n) should typically go after the entire arithmetic and denotes that the arithmetic was done modulo n, i.e., members on either side of the congruence sign represent the same congruence class. In other words
5 ~ 2 (mod 3) and 2 ~ 5 (mod 3) are both valid congruence relations (we would typically not just write 5 (mod 3) = 2).

That any number is in the same congruence class as its remainder is a different matter. My point is that ”5 (mod 3)” does not mean ”2”. It means the congruence class of 5 modulo 3. We already have a name for the remainder.

Orodruin said:
I disagree. The (mod n) should typically go after the entire arithmetic and denotes that the arithmetic was done modulo n, i.e., members on either side of the congruence sign represent the same congruence class. In other words
5 ~ 2 (mod 3) and 2 ~ 5 (mod 3) are both valid congruence relations (we would typically not just write 5 (mod 3) = 2).

That any number is in the same congruence class as its remainder is a different matter. My point is that ”5 (mod 3)” does not mean ”2”. It means the congruence class of 5 modulo 3. We already have a name for the remainder.

It's certainly better to say ##a = b \ mod \ n## means ##a## and ##b## have the same remainder when divided by ##n##.

The definition of equivalence classes follows. But, you can do modular arithmetic on ##\mathbb{Z}## without considering the set of equivalence classes ##\mathbb{Z}_n##.

To illustrate this point, the original question was:

Mathematicsresear said:

Homework Statement

This is modular arithmetic on ##\mathbb{Z}## - the question is essentially looking for the remainder at this stage. Otherwise, the answer would be, for example:

##544 \ mod \ 3 = \{\dots -5, -2, 1, 4, \dots \}##

Or, whatever.

The OP may not have reached the stage of defining these equivalence classes yet.

1. How do I find the remainder when dividing 544 by 3 using congruence?

To find the remainder, or modulus, when dividing 544 by 3 using congruence, we can use the formula: a ≡ b (mod n), where a is the number being divided, b is the remainder, and n is the divisor. In this case, a = 544, b = ?, and n = 3. We can rewrite 544 as 540 + 4, and then apply the congruence formula to the second term, 4 ≡ 1 (mod 3). Therefore, the remainder when dividing 544 by 3 is 1.

2. How can I use congruence to find if a number is divisible by 3?

If a number is divisible by 3, it will have a remainder of 0 when divided by 3. So, to determine if a number is divisible by 3 using congruence, we can follow the same formula as above, but this time set b = 0. If a ≡ 0 (mod 3), then the number is divisible by 3.

3. Can I use congruence to find the remainder when dividing by numbers other than 3?

Yes, congruence can be used to find the remainder when dividing by any positive integer. The formula remains the same: a ≡ b (mod n), where a is the number being divided, b is the remainder, and n is the divisor. Simply plug in the appropriate values to find the remainder.

4. Is there a quicker way to find the remainder using congruence?

Yes, there is a shortcut for finding the remainder when dividing by certain numbers. For example, if we want to find the remainder when dividing by 9, we can add up the digits of the number and find the remainder when dividing that sum by 9. For 544, we get 5 + 4 + 4 = 13, and the remainder when dividing 13 by 9 is 4, which is the same as the remainder when dividing 544 by 9.

5. How can I use congruence to solve more complex division problems?

Congruence can be used to solve more complex division problems by breaking the numbers down into smaller chunks and applying the congruence formula to each chunk. For example, to find the remainder when dividing 544 by 27, we can break 544 into 500 + 40 + 4. Then, we can apply the formula to each term: 500 ≡ 11 (mod 27), 40 ≡ 13 (mod 27), 4 ≡ 4 (mod 27). Adding these remainders together, we get 11 + 13 + 4 = 28, and the remainder when dividing 28 by 27 is 1. Therefore, the remainder when dividing 544 by 27 is also 1.