Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I find the band structure of a molecule by knowing its absorption spectrum?

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    Hi, my name is Hans Lindroth and I have difficulties understanding how to determine the band structure of a chemical substance (in this case rhodamine B) experimentally, given I have the absorption spectrum of it. Is there anybody out there who can help me with this?

If you can please help me, I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you actually have crystals of Rh-B (or are you using it as a marker in another material) ?

4. Nov 9, 2006 #3
    Heat it up and look at its spectrum. Are you in a lab or physics department or something? You should get its emission spectra this way.

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4
    Well this is simple :wink: . Just go to a synchrotron light source and perform an XAS measurement. From that you can extract the band structure.

6. Nov 11, 2006 #5
    How about eels, electron energy loss spectroscopy. This can be performed on a sem, however as far as I know it will only give elemental decomposition

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?