How can I find the coefficient of x^12

• Thread starter DeathKnight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, to find the coefficient of x^12 in (2+x)^14(1+2/x)^14, we can simplify it to (4+4+x^2/x)^14 and use the binomial coefficients formula \binom{n}{r} to find the value of r for which the power of x is 12. This can be done by finding the positive integer s where 0<=s<=r, if it exists, such that 2s-r=12 and then adding up the result for each r. However, this method is not very elegant and can be made easier by choosing a different simplification method.
DeathKnight
How can I find the coefficient of x^12 in:
[tex] (2+x)^{14}(1+ \frac{2}{x})^{14} [/tex]
I did it like that:
[tex] (2+x)^{14}(1+ \frac{2}{x})^{14} [/tex]
Can be written as:
[tex] (4+ \frac{4+x^2}{x})^{14} [/tex]
Now the term [tex]T_{r+1}[/tex] can be represented as:
[tex] 14C_r (4)^{14-r}(\frac{4+x^2}{x})^r[/tex] (How can I write 14Cr?)
Dont know where to go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's more than one way to skin a cat:

how can you obtain x^12 from the two original brackets? You need x^14 from one and x^{-2} from the other and... add 'em up.

for the tex for binomial coeffs click on:

[tex]\binom{n}{r}[/tex]

Thanks a lot for your reply Matt. I got what you said but I'm still curious to find out how can I find the answer to it by using the method I stated above? I have done many similar questions and I know I have to find the value of r for which the power of x is 12. Is this possible?

Last edited:
of course it is- just not very easy, you just need, for each r to find the positive integer s where 0<=s<=r, if it exists, such that 2s-r=12 and then add up, for each one where this happens,

[tex]\binom{14}{r}\binom{r}{s}4^{14-r}4^{r-s}[/tex]

hardly elegant but then you made the problem much harder with your choice of "simplification"

1. How do I find the coefficient of x^12 using the binomial theorem?

The coefficient of x^12 in a binomial expansion can be found by using the formula (n choose r) * a^(n-r) * b^r where n is the power of the binomial, r is the power of x, and a and b are the coefficients of the binomial. In this case, a and b would both be 1 since the binomial is just x and 1. So the formula would simplify to (n choose r) * x^(n-r).

2. Is there a specific method for finding the coefficient of x^12 in a polynomial?

Yes, there is a general formula for finding the coefficient of x^12 in any polynomial. It involves finding the number of terms in the polynomial, then finding the coefficient of x^12 in each term, and finally adding them together. This method works for any degree of x, not just x^12.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the coefficient of x^12?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the coefficient of x^12 if you know the polynomial in its expanded form. Simply enter the coefficients of each term into the calculator and it will calculate the coefficient of x^12 for you.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of x^12 in a polynomial?

The coefficient of x^12 represents the number in front of the x^12 term in a polynomial. It tells us the magnitude and direction of the term, which is important in understanding the overall behavior and shape of the polynomial.

5. Can the coefficient of x^12 be negative?

Yes, the coefficient of x^12 can be negative. This means that the term x^12 is being subtracted from the polynomial instead of added. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the coefficient in order to accurately plot the polynomial on a graph and understand its behavior.