1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I find the radius of this circle?

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    A, B, C, D are points on a circle of centre O and TA is the tangent to the circle at A.

TA = 7.1 cm
    AD = 4.5 cm

Basically if we were to draw this circle we would first draw (Clockwise) the point D on the circle then A then C and then B.
    Point T being outside of the circle slightly on the right of it.

Now angle BDA = 36 degrees and DAT = 28 degrees

From this info I need to find the radius of the circle and say if OT bisects AD?

I have demonstrated (using the circle property) that angle BOA = 72 degrees and BCA = 144 degrees and also OAD = 62 degrees.

But how can I find the radius and prove the bisection? Please any hints or answers to this treaky one :-)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2
    Divide AD in two with a point E. Now from the triangle OAE you get OA=AE/cos(62).

Draw the bisector of AD from O to the line AT, call the point it makes on line AT point F. The projection of AF onto AD is AE, from this we get AF=AE/cos(28)=2,55 cm, which is not equal to TA and thus OT does not bisect AD (OF does).

edit: seems deceptively simple, maybe i missed something???

- Kamataat
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    seems right thanks
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?