Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I have a badge?

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    How can I have a badge??

How can i have a badge like homework helper.. science adviser.. etc??

Are there requirements?? Like no. of post or something??

sorry if this is something obvious.. I just started here so I have no idea ..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: How can I have a badge??

Those designations are awarded to members by the Admin/Mentors based on their evaluation of a member's consistent performance and ability in this forum. One can neither ask nor request for them.

Zz.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

If you want one you're going to have to be an excellent member :wink: welcome to the forums!

6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

There are excellent members without a badge.:smile: Personally speaking, a person without a badge doesn't imply that he/she aren't qualified to make outstanding contributions.:wink: Just because a person does have a badge doesn't mean they are perfect nor does it imply they don't make mistakes.:smile:

7. Feb 3, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

I totally agree :smile:

8. Feb 3, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The badges make NO implication of such things either.

A SA badge for physics doesn't imply that person is qualified to be an expert in Biology. Furthermore, the badge also signifies a consistent participation. Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a badge either.

Zz.

9. Feb 3, 2012 #8

I'm positive that this must be of help to your viewing audience and current members as of todate is 333,797. Yet, I did look https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213
    and noted that very few members vote on who is or isn't going to win a badge because as you say, "Someone who is more qualified, but participates only during the yearly migration of the ducks would not receive such a bade either." Mind explaining to me what you mean by 'migration of the ducks'. I would hope you do have *more* qualifed individuals with a badge. :smile: Also, a badge holder with an "Anonymous" name might tend to confuse people who participate thinking the person is afraid to use it if the title is related to science or such.

All I'm doing is providing you with feedback on this topic. :smile: Also, I hit an average 1,273 websites in a day when I am online. Sorry for my lack of full-time presence here.:smile: I don't spend my life hooked up to the Internet. My personal opinion is a badge isn't necessary. What you present to the public online should be honest and true as far as I am concerned since I think it is far more valuable then a title with a badge.

10. Feb 3, 2012 #9

Evo

That is a popular vote by members for fun, it is not a "badge" in the sense of a homework helper or science advisor. Zz was refering to HH and SA medals.

11. Feb 3, 2012 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Correct. I am confining to the award in question asked in the OP, not the end-of-the-year Guru awards!

Zz.

12. Feb 3, 2012 #11

Ok. The HH and SA medals are voted by members and I have seen that before and seen a very minute amount of members voting. I do recall one member Jimmy declined. Do you have those statistics available any longer or are they deleted?

13. Feb 3, 2012 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

HH and SA medals are NOT voted by members!

Zz.

14. Feb 3, 2012 #13

That's interesting since I voted for several people located here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/mentorforums/

You have had voting by members before. Maybe you would like to tell me why I voted for some of those members from the link prior to them getting a badge. Do you have the statistics for that ? Also, why do you think members don't have right to vote now? It is a democracy. Isn't it? Please explain to me what you meant by 'migration of the ducks'.

15. Feb 3, 2012 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your vote did not cause them to get an SA of HH badge. People get badges if the current SA's, HH's and mentors think they should have one. The voting you refer to has nothing to do with the system of Science Advisors and Homework Helpers.

It's not surprising that the people you voted for have SA or HH badges, since they tend to have quality posts. However, the regular members have no say in whether somebody receives a badge or not.

16. Feb 3, 2012 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This forum is not a democracy. This is privately owned by King Greg Bernhardt I and he can do what he wants to. He chooses to make this a scientific forum which promotes mainstream science.

It would not be a good idea to let all members decide on who should be SA or HH, since they don't necessarily are qualified to judge. Do you expect to let all people in the world judge on who should get a publication in a scientific journal?? This is the same idea.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  17. Feb 3, 2012 #16

Doc Al

Just a joke to illustrate how there may be members who might make high quality posts, but who participate only rarely (during the annual migration).

18. Feb 3, 2012 #17

Drakkith

Are you referring to the voting for "Awards" that was done back in december? Those are not badges. Having a "2011 Spirit Award" has nothing to do with having a HH Badge.

19. Feb 3, 2012 #18

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Confusingly we have a 2011 PF Award for Homework Help and also a Homework Helper medal. ;)

The first has been awarded by the popularity vote in december, the second is awarded by the mentors.

20. Feb 3, 2012 #19

A sincere thank you to everyone that has particapted on this topic. :biggrin: What an enlightening experience! :biggrin: I mostly look at scientific journals when online but nothing beats a conversation. I do think *our* viewing audience has learned the art of communication. Again, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

21. Feb 3, 2012 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I think the confusion is terminology. The end of year awards do earn a badge. Those are a popular vote and include both serious and silly categories. There's only one winner in each category for those who gets a badge for the year. I think the OP is actually asking about the medals, which are decided upon by staff and other medalists.

Though, if you see someone who is consistently helpful and has been here a while, but doesn't have a medal, you could always PM Greg or a mentor to bring attention to that member in case they were simply overlooked. Once in a blue moon, someone gets offered the medal and declines because they just don't want the pressure or attention.

There is a bit of post count factored in too, but I won't disclose the number so people don't make the mistake of padding their post count. That's mainly because it takes some number of posts to get a feel for whether someone is just flash in the pan, or is a long-term, steady contributor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook