Tips for Taking Effective Lecture Notes in English

• Thread starter Aafia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...aren't...
Aafia
I want to make my own notes of whatever sir says in class i mean how to take lecture notes ... but my english is weak ... please give me some tips ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll add that practice includes reading as well as writing. In addition, corrections help. I learned a lot of Spanish by participating in alt.usage.spanish (on Usenet), where we discussed various things and people corrected my errors. Alt.usage.english might work for you. There are probably many other forums where you can get involved in discussing things that interest you and people will correct your errors in English. (In most forums, though, correction of people's language is discouraged.)

Likes Aafia
In your free time, you might want to watch english movies/tv-shows without subtitles. Very rough in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it very quickly. This is essentially how I learned english.

Participating on english forums (such as this one) helps too, especially if you actively ask people to correct your mistakes. For example, for a long time I had in my signature that I appreciated any corrections of english mistakes.

And of course reading english books helps too. This can be about anything, even technical physics books.

The main components to understand a language are reading, writing, listening and talking. Talking will likely be difficult in a foreign country. But the other three should be possible to do.

Likes Aafia and Greg Bernhardt
Aafia said:
I want to make my own notes of whatever sir says in class i mean how to take lecture notes ... but my english is weak ... please give me some tips ...

And let me give some suggestions:

1) The word "I" should always be a capital letter. I don't really know why that is, but that's the way it is.
2) "Sir" is probably your teacher. Of course you can call your teacher sir, but that's only when you talk to him directly. If you talk to us about your teacher, then you should say "my teacher" or "my professor".
3) Ending a sentence with "..." is allowed, but it's not good practice to do it three times in a row.
4) Sentences start with a capitcal letter.

Hope that helped!

Likes Aafia
I think you should listen the English as long as you can. Listening always helps in improving your language. A child listens to his/her parents and starts speaking the same language. Secondly you must try to speak, no matter if it is wrong. This is the only way you will be able to learn good skills of the language.

Likes Aafia
micromass said:
Participating on english forums (such as this one) helps too, especially if you actively ask people to correct your mistakes. For example, for a long time I had in my signature that I appreciated any corrections of english mistake.
Ok can you please suggest me some websites so that i can learn english ... and thanks for help me

micromass said:
1) The word "I" should always be a capital letter.
Aafia said:
Ok can you please suggest me some websites so that i can learn english ... and thanks for help me
It looks like helping you is a waste of time.

zoobyshoe said:
It looks like helping you is a waste of time.
Sorry .. I have forgotten to write I in capital ..

I like using language groups. Try meetup.com and find English conversation groups in your area

Likes Aafia
I read books, watch movies with and without subtitles and I also wrote a lot in English (not typed, wrote with my own hand), hence my spelling is nigh impeccable (ego). PS! I am not a native speaker, English is my third language.

nuuskur said:
I read books, watch movies with and without subtitles and I also wrote a lot in English (not typed, wrote with my own hand), hence my spelling is nigh impeccable (ego). PS! I am not a native speaker, English is my third language.
Well nigh impeccable, indeed! Your English is better than a lot of Americans whose first language is English.

Mark44 said:
Well nigh impeccable, indeed! Your English is better than a lot of Americans whose first language is English.
That may be the case, but I am not really satisfied. I can do fine in a regular chat, but I struggle with specific vocabulary: mathematical analysis related vocabulary, for instance. Another point is that I don't really consider knowing English all that impressive, since we are all surrounded by it. I would be much more content were I able to speak Swedish/Norwegian, English is .. a means to an end, it sounds horrible, I know.

micromass said:
In your free time, you might want to watch english movies/tv-shows without subtitles. Very rough in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it very quickly. This is essentially how I learned english.

Aren't English subtitles helpful?

Lisa! said:
Aren't English subtitles helpful?

Sure, and sometimes they are necessary. But from experience I found out you learn to understand English much quicker and better if you do it without subtitles. However, you must know English pretty well already to be able to understand it without subtitles.

Do you enjoy playing video games? I found it a quick and enjoyable way of learning language, thanks to it I can improve my English and some basics of Japanese katakana. And for a student, of course reading English textbooks.

Thank you guys for giving me advice and tips . I will try .

Likes nuuskur
Aafia said:
Thank you guys for giving me advice and tips . I will try .
For some reason, I felt proud :)

What are some effective ways to improve my English?

1. Practice speaking and writing regularly: The more you use the language, the more comfortable you will become with it.

2. Read in English: Reading helps improve vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure.

3. Watch English movies and TV shows: This will not only expose you to different accents and pronunciations, but also help you pick up on common phrases and idioms.

4. Join a language exchange program: This will give you the opportunity to practice speaking with native English speakers and receive feedback on your language skills.

5. Take an English course: A structured course can help you improve your grammar, comprehension, and overall confidence in using the language.