How can I know which law of force should be use to calculate....

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Law
In summary, you need to use the "head to tail" method to add the vectors in order to calculate the resultant.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
How can I know which law of force should be use to calculate magnitude and direction for any diagram?
Relevant Equations
Triangle law of forces

for this diagram, I want to use Triangle law of forces, but I am not sure about final answer.
So how can I know which law of force should be use to calculate magnitude and direction for any diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to calculate? If you want to sum those forces, there are several ways to do so. Realize that you can move the force vectors around so that they can be added as a triangle.

Doc Al said:
What are you trying to calculate?
I want to calculate magnitude and direction.

Of the sum, I presume. Try moving the 150 force so its tail hits the tip of the other vector. You can translate vectors as long as you don't change their directions.

Benjamin_harsh said:
Problem Statement: How can I know which law of force should be use to calculate magnitude and direction for any diagram?
Relevant Equations: Triangle law of forces

View attachment 243841
for this diagram, I want to use Triangle law of forces, but I am not sure about final answer.
So how can I know which law of force should be use to calculate magnitude and direction for any diagram?

What are the different "laws of force" that you know?

Gaussian97 said:
What are the different "laws of force" that you know?
Only 2 I know.

Parallelogram law of force.

Triangular law of force.

I presume that by "triangular law of force" you mean the "head to tail" method of vector addition? That way they form a triangle, which you can then use to find the resultant.

Doc Al said:
I presume that by "triangular law of force" you mean the "head to tail" method of vector addition? That way they form a triangle, which you can then use to find the resultant.
So parallelogram law of force is useless for this problem?

Benjamin_harsh said:
So parallelogram law of force is useless for this problem?
Not sure what the "parallelogram law" is, but you can use ANY method to add the two vectors.

Doc Al said:
Not sure what the "parallelogram law" is, but you can use ANY method to add the two vectors.
I am saying Parallelogram law of vector addition

Ah, you mean this:

Nothing wrong with that. (To me, those are sort of the same thing: Graphical methods of adding vectors.)

The real trick is to move the vectors so that they are head to tail.

Doc Al said:
I think that "triangular law of force" means the cosine rule.

Benjamin_harsh said:
Only 2 I know.

Parallelogram law of force.

Triangular law of force.

You can always use the parallelogram law, but it's a geometric proceeding so you will need a ruler to measure the final result and you will have errors. Triangular law of force, if I understand what you mean (please explain what do you understand by this) can be used also to get the correct values with mathematical operations.

Gaussian97 said:
I think that "triangular law of force" means the cosine rule.
Yep. And I'd use that rule even for the parallelogram method (there's a triangle in there) so you can get an exact answer.

(In reality, I wouldn't waste time with either: I'd just add components.)

What is the difference between Newton's first, second, and third laws of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law of motion, or the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate. Newton's third law of motion, the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How do I know which law of force to use when calculating the motion of an object?

The law of force to use when calculating the motion of an object depends on the specific scenario and what information is known. If you know the mass and acceleration of an object, you can use Newton's second law to calculate the net force. If you are trying to determine the motion of an object in a given situation, you can use all three of Newton's laws to help you analyze the forces at play.

Can Newton's laws of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's laws of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. These laws are fundamental principles of physics and can be used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in a wide range of situations.

What happens if an object experiences multiple forces at the same time?

If an object experiences multiple forces at the same time, the net force acting on the object is the sum of all the individual forces. This net force will determine the acceleration of the object according to Newton's second law. The direction of the acceleration will be in the direction of the net force.

How can I apply Newton's laws of motion to everyday situations?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied to everyday situations such as pushing a shopping cart, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. These laws help us understand how objects move and interact with each other in the world around us. By understanding these laws, we can make predictions about the motion of objects and use them to our advantage in daily activities.