How can I learn more without pursuing a formal education?

• Thread starter Eourlk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary: So it can be a little confusing.The rabbit hole thing is a valid concern, but if you're looking for a good place to start, I would recommend Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction by John Griffiths. It's a little more elementary than some other texts, but it covers the basics well and is well written.
Eourlk
Summary: I have an undergrad CS degree, but I'm trying to learn about quantum mechanics without going back to school.

I'm interested in learning more about quantum mechanics, but I'm having trouble finding a starting point. It seems like every time I try to learn more about a particular QM concept online, I get stuck down a rabbit-hole of wikipedia articles, trying to learn about all of the notation and pre-requisite concepts.

For my CS degree, I took calc 2, statistics, linear algebra, discrete math, and a couple of physics classes (one which touched on QM). I've read a few non-technical physics books (Lawrence Krauss, Stephen Hawking, etc.), and I consider myself to have a pretty good layman's understanding of physics. I'd like to avoid spending a ton of money on textbooks if possible, but as of now, it seems like they might be my best option.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Likes AchillesWrathfulLove
Physics news on Phys.org
With your math/science background, I do think Griffiths Quantum Mechanics is a good option for you. You can find a used copy on Ebay for 20 bucks or so.

Likes Eourlk
Eourlk said:
have an undergrad CS degree, but I'm trying to learn about quantum mechanics without going back to school.
How much math have you had?

berkeman said:
How much math have you had?
Calc 2, statistics, linear algebra, and discrete math. Probably the bare minimum needed to get started learning QM, if I had to guess.

I too have a CS degree but also an equivalent knowledge of electronics that seems to give insights into quantum mechanics, QED, QCD and QFT. Not only theory but how experiments are designed and implemented. I have found understanding electronics helps studying QM much like computer science helps data collection and set theory helps understand probability and statistics.

Worth a look but you should study subjects that work for you.

Likes geoelectronics
It's hard to really get QM without Calc 3 and Differential Equations.

Likes Auto-Didact, geoelectronics, PAllen and 2 others
Dr. Courtney said:
It's hard to really get QM without Calc 3 and Differential Equations.
Thanks for the warning. I do hope to some day be able to study more math and physics in a university setting, it's just not an option at the moment. In the meantime, I'm going to brush up on the calculus I do know, and maybe try to learn a little more on my own before diving into a QM textbook.

Eourlk said:
I get stuck down a rabbit-hole of wikipedia articles, trying to learn about all of the notation and pre-requisite concepts.

I had the same trouble so I was like **** this lol

Interesting question! I can recommend Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman as an interesting start. In fact, the whole Theoretical Minimum series: classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, special relativity/classical field theory. These are probably going to be a much gentler introduction than standard physics texts but they still include math--they are far from simply qualitative.

Likes Eourlk and Klystron
Eourlk said:
I get stuck down a rabbit-hole of wikipedia articles, trying to learn about all of the notation and pre-requisite concepts.
There are a lot of questions on physics.stackexchange.com from people confused by wikipedia. It is written by a committee. Or multiple committees.

Likes Eourlk

1. How can I learn more without pursuing a formal education?

There are many ways to continue learning without enrolling in a formal education program. Some options include online courses, self-study through books or resources, attending workshops or seminars, joining a community or group focused on a specific topic, and networking with professionals in your field of interest.

2. Can I gain valuable knowledge and skills without a degree?

Yes, pursuing a formal education is not the only way to gain valuable knowledge and skills. Many successful individuals have achieved success through self-learning and practical experience. It is important to identify your learning style and find resources that cater to it.

3. How can I stay motivated while learning without a formal education?

Setting goals and creating a schedule can help you stay motivated while learning without a formal education. It is also important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and find ways to make the learning process fun and engaging.

4. What are the benefits of learning without a formal education?

Learning without a formal education allows for more flexibility and personalized learning. It also encourages independent thinking and self-motivation. Additionally, it can be more cost-effective than pursuing a formal education.

5. Are there any disadvantages to learning without a formal education?

One potential disadvantage is the lack of a recognized degree or certification, which may be required for certain career paths. It may also require more self-discipline and time management skills, as there is no structured curriculum or deadlines. However, these can be overcome with determination and dedication to learning.