How can I make my friend love physics?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
First of all, the OP seems to be MIA since the day this was posted. So obviously, he/she isn't in such a hurry to make his/her friend loves physics.

Secondly, I think there is still this confusion here between making someone loves something, versus appreciating the importance of it. I would never, in many lifetime, want to study accounting or business. I dislike the subject matter and I find that it bores me to pieces each time I sat through any kind of seminar on financial health, organizing my finances, etc...etc. In other words, I HATE those topics.

HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that I do not appreciate the IMPORTANCE of it. I may dislike it, but I know fully well that this is necessary to keep my finances in order for me to live not only while I'm working, but when I'm retired. I may dislike it, but it does not diminish my appreciation of its importance.

See the difference here?

You can't make anyone love anything. That's like someone liking the color purple, and you're trying to force that person to like the color orange. That's irrational! What you can do is make someone appreciate the importance of it. Many of us who teach for a living encounter this every single session. Do you think that every single student enrolled in a physics class (i) wants to be there and (ii) likes the subject? Try teaching a physics class to non-STEM majors with almost no math background.

I often flat out tell them way in the beginning that I know many of them would rather not be in the class. But I also tell them that (i) they already know a lot of the material, even unconsciously, and (ii) I will make them realize why it is important, without having them liking it. This is extremely important, in my opinion, because these students will grow up and will be asked, directly or indirectly, to fund many aspects of scientific endeavors! We may have to appeal to them to urge their politicians to fund and support funding science research, education, etc. A few of them may even be in the political position to decide or influence such a thing. I do not care if they like physics or not. I do, however, care tremendously if they are ignorant of the IMPORTANCE of physics.

So stop this nonsense of trying to make someone likes physics. Instead, make them understand the importance of it!

Zz.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Why not just accept her as she is without trying to change her?
Because it is not easy to understand physics even for PhD learned men
===
Book ‘'Dreams of a final theory'’.
‘ Most scientists use quantum mechanics every day in they
working lives without needing to worry about the fundamental
problem of its interpretation.
. . .they do not worry about it. A year or so ago . . . . .
our conversation turned to a young theorist who had been quite
promising as a graduate student and who had then dropped
out of sight. I asked Phil what had interfered with the
ex-student’s research. Phil shook his head sadly and said:
‘ He tried to understand quantum mechanics.’
/ By Steven Weinberg, page 66./
===