1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I make the most money out of my physics education ?

1. Dec 24, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am a second year undergraduate physics student. By no choice of my own, I find myself in a very difficult situation. Without sharing to much details that might bore you, I am in a position where I have to not only make my own future and support myself but also support some of my family members (e.g younger siblings) financially.

I used to be an engineering student, but I switched to physics instead. I simply couldn't manage an engineering program, due to the difficulty and that engineering studies are very demanding. I also had numerous responsibilities outside school that I hand to attend to at that time. Hence, I switched to physics, something I really enjoyed, was good at in high school, and a program much more less demanding then engineering. Please excuse this bold claim of physics being "easier" then engineering. It is based simply on personal experience.

The only Reason I applied for engineering in the first place, was because of the job prospects. Engineering is a professional degree, made to prepare you for a job in the industry. This is evident in the fact that a one full year of personal experience working for a company is needed before graduation - at least in my university it is. Physics is more academic oriented, and jobs after graduation aren't necessarily well defined, at least not as well as I think engineering is.

My predicament is the following. I need to make money. As simple as that. I can assure you that it is not for some selfish reasons, but it stems from the responsibilities that I have.

To remedy this situation, I have thought of specializing in the field of physics that offers the following:
    1) highest wages and highest job positions available
    2) the ability to branch out on myself and perhaps open my own company. This might be a bit unusual to consider, since starting up your own company might include years of hard work with zero return and also the risk of failing. But I feel that working independently, might lead me to reaching my full potential as a prospective scientist.

Returning to Engineering school at this point isn't really an option for me. And so through research on the internet, I have looked at the different branches of undergrad physics my school offers and narrowed them to the following:

1) Geophysics: Essentially finding work in an oil/mineral company. Having looked at statistics, it seems like a good field to go into.

2) Condensed Matter Physics: My school webpage says that this field has the most applications in industry, and closely related to electrical engineering, and nanotechnology. I have no information about the job prospects with this specialization.

I also believe that these fields, allow some room for some entrepreneurship and possibly even some innovation.

Other then a curious scientific mind and a passion for physics, I don't have the social skills that most people have, I don't feel comfortable around people let alone interacting with them. Finding summer research internships is difficult for me, I don't have a very high GPA at the moment. So my prospects of going into graduate school are slimmer - I recognize that graduate school is a necessity for these fields.

My question is, what do you think about What I have suggested above? and how can I make the most money out of my physics education ?

Thank you for reading this far, I would be grateful for any input/comments/advice.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted