Simplifying Equations: A Scientist's Guide

• Thread starter LucasGB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses equations and finding a general formula to simplify the computation of A_n. The speaker's equation is confirmed to be correct and a simpler solution is provided for computing A_n by hand. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the help and clarifying that it is not a homework problem.
LucasGB
I have the following equations:

(See Figure 1)

I tried summing them up in one single general formula, and I got:

(See Figure 2)

I'd like to know two things:

1. Is my general formula correct? Please note it does not work for A1, since for my purposes, A0 does not exist.

2. If my formula is correct, how can I make it simpler, so I can computate An by hand?

Thank you very much for your help! I'm sure this is going to be simple, but my knowledge is limited.

Attachments

• Figure 1.JPG
    Figure 1.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Figure 2.JPG
    Figure 2.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your equation is indeed correct. But I prefer to write it this way:
[tex]A_n=A_{n-1}y+A_1x[/tex]

2. If you want to make it simple and compute it by hand, I guess you would like to solve the above difference equation. Here is the solution:

[tex]A_n=A_1y^{n-1}+A_1x\left(\frac{y^{n-1}-1}{y-1}\right)[/tex]

Please refer to this http://www.voofie.com/content/77/general-term-of-recurrence-relation-and-its-solution/" , if you are interested in how to get the answer. With this equation, I think you can compute any term by hand easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, that was very helpful!

You are welcome. Is it some kind of homework problem? Or you encounter it in your self-study?

Just a problem that arose while studying some experiments. Not homework related. Thank you again.

What is the importance of simplifying things?

Simplifying things can make them easier to understand and more manageable. It can also save time and reduce complexity, making tasks more efficient.

How can I determine what parts of a process or system can be simplified?

Start by breaking the process or system down into smaller components and identifying areas that are causing confusion or taking up unnecessary time or resources. Then, consider alternative methods or approaches that may simplify these parts.

What strategies can I use to simplify complex ideas or concepts?

Some strategies for simplifying complex ideas or concepts include using analogies or visual aids, breaking down the information into smaller chunks, and using simple language and explanations.

How can simplifying benefit problem-solving or decision-making?

Simplifying can help to identify the root cause of a problem or the key factors influencing a decision. It can also help to eliminate distractions or irrelevant information, allowing for a more focused and effective approach to problem-solving and decision-making.

Are there any potential downsides to simplifying things?

While simplifying can be beneficial, it is important to ensure that the simplification does not oversimplify or leave out important details. It is also important to consider the potential trade-offs or unintended consequences of simplifying, such as sacrificing accuracy or depth of understanding.