1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i obtain optical constants

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    can someone trained in ellipsometer can guide me how can i obtain optical constants of a thin film which is sandwiched between two films of known optical constants. with such multilayer samples interference oscillations become difficult to resolve but i am sure that top layer is non-absorbing (and thin enough to pass light) so light is being reflected from the layer beneath it whose optical constants needs to be known. they bottom layer is substrate.
    i think understand the basic theory of ellipsometry and know what is happening. i also know that optical constant can be obtained in this way but not sure how can i resolve interference oscillations to identify which one comes from the top layer which one from my film with unknown optical constants.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted