How can I plot a graph for these opamp results?

In summary: If you are plotting in Excel, you would make 3 columns of data. 1st column is your frequency, 2nd column is your Vo/Vi for 100k, and 3rd column is Vo/Vi for 10k. Then select those 3 columns of data, and click the button to make a Scatter Plot. Select the smoothing graph version to make the plot. Then click each axis one at a time, and do "Format Axis" to change to log scale and choose your line spacing.
NYAME EPHRAIM
Capture voltage gain and frq.PNG
i have build and simulated the op amp circuit, i have recorded the voltage gain at different frequencies, now i need to plot a graph for the two results in same graph paper, i have not plotted a graph before for the related task so i need to understand from the basics,
i need some one to patiently help thanks.
Capture for op amp ephraim.PNG
Ephraim Graph.jpg

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Capture voltage gain and frq.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Capture for op amp ephraim.PNG
    Capture for op amp ephraim.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 942
  • Ephraim Graph.jpg
    Ephraim Graph.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 926
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What graphing program are you going to use to plot the results? Excel? Or does your simulator have built-in plotting capability? What simulator program are you using?

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
View attachment 224716i have not plotted a graph before for the related task so i need to

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What graphing program are you going to use to plot the results? Excel? Or does your simulator have built-in plotting capability? What simulator program are you using?

If you do use Excel, you can do a log - log plot that uses base 2 or base 10 for the axes. You do not have to use the same base for each axis. If you use minor gridlines, you can get something close to your image. Folks here can help you with this.

Likes berkeman
NYAME EPHRAIM said:
View attachment 224716 i have build and simulated the op amp circuit, i have recorded the voltage gain at different frequencies, now i need to plot a graph for the two results in same graph paper, i have not plotted a graph before for the related task so i need to understand from the basics,
i need some one to patiently help thanks.
View attachment 224716 View attachment 224717 View attachment 224718

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is basic, textbook material, better taught through tutorials than through forum explanations. See, eg.,
https://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/graphing/plotting.html
which starts right at the beginning and takes you through the process. It should answer all of your questions.

You can also plot graphs in spreadsheets (like EXCEL) and using various on-line tools, some of them free, others not. However, if you want a hand-drawn graph on an actual piece of paper, the link above should be enough to get you started.

Ray Vickson said:
This is basic, textbook material, better taught through tutorials than through forum explanations. See, eg.,

I could be wrong, but I think

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
View attachment 224716i have not plotted a graph before for the related task so i need to understand from the basics,

should not be interpreted as "I have not plotted a basic graph before". I don't see log log plots at your link.

@NYAME EPHRAIM wants to make an op amp data log - log plot that shows a constant gain over a certain frequency range, followed by a sharp break to a constnt roll off (on a log log plot), like in Figure 1.1 from

http://denethor.wlu.ca/pc300/opamps/opamp.pdf

His data nicely approximates the ideal case in Figure 1.1.

I have taught op amp labs to second-year engineering and physics students, and, at this stage, I expect that: 1) they understand basic graphing; 2) their reports should look professional; 3) they might need help producing a log log plot with software.

Likes berkeman
George Jones said:
op amp data log - log plot that shows a constant gain over a certain frequency range,

Thank Sir
please i need to be clear about some,
if you see my results data, i have results for 10k ohms resistor, and 100k ohms resistor,
how can i input this in the same graph paper or i need to do it separate ?

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
Thank Sir
please i need to be clear about some,
if you see my results data, i have results for 10k ohms resistor, and 100k ohms resistor,
The graph paper you illustrate can easily carry two curves. Plot gain vs. frequency for the 100 kΩ case, then on the same axes plot in a different coloured ink your results for the 10 kΩ investigation.

NYAME EPHRAIM said:
The 2 copies of the table in your first post are identical, right? I'm guessing it was an accidental duplicate Upload.

If you are plotting in Excel, you would make 3 columns of data. 1st column is your frequency, 2nd column is your Vo/Vi for 100k, and 3rd column is Vo/Vi for 10k. Then select those 3 columns of data, and click the button to make a Scatter Plot. Select the smoothing graph version to make the plot. Then click each axis one at a time, and do "Format Axis" to change to log scale and choose your line spacing.

1. How do I choose the appropriate axes for my opamp graph?

When plotting a graph for opamp results, it is important to consider the range of values for both the input and output variables. The input variable is typically measured in volts, while the output variable is measured in either volts or decibels (dB). Choose an appropriate scale for each variable that allows the plotted data to be easily interpreted and does not cut off any important data points. It is also helpful to label each axis with the corresponding units.

2. What is the best type of graph to use for opamp results?

The type of graph to use for opamp results largely depends on the type of data being plotted and the purpose of the graph. For continuous data, a line graph is typically used, while for discrete data, a bar graph may be more appropriate. If comparing multiple opamp results, a stacked bar graph or grouped bar graph can be useful. It is also important to consider the audience and choose a graph that is easy to understand for them.

3. How do I label and title my opamp graph?

The graph title should accurately describe the data being plotted, and the axes should be labeled with the variable name and unit. If multiple lines or bars are being plotted, a legend should be included to identify which data corresponds to which line or bar. It is also helpful to include any relevant information about the experiment or data collection process in the graph's title or caption.

4. Can I use software to plot my opamp graph?

Yes, there is a variety of software available that can be used to plot opamp graphs, such as Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, or Python. These software programs provide tools to easily create and customize graphs, as well as perform statistical analysis on the data. It is important to familiarize yourself with the software and its features to effectively create a clear and accurate graph.

5. How can I make my opamp graph visually appealing and easy to interpret?

To make your opamp graph visually appealing and easy to interpret, it is important to use clear and concise labeling, choose appropriate colors and fonts, and avoid cluttering the graph with unnecessary elements. You can also use additional features such as gridlines or trend lines to aid in interpreting the data. It is also helpful to follow basic design principles, such as balancing the use of white space and utilizing a consistent design throughout the graph.