How can I prove this theorem on differential inclusions?

Your Name]In summary, the forum post author discusses differential inclusions and their application in studying dynamical systems. They highlight the importance of considering a range of possible trajectories and the property that ensures consistency with the system's dynamics. The use of convex hulls is also mentioned as a flexible and effective approach.
Only a Mirage
Consider the following differential equations with initial conditions at time $t_0$ specified:

[tex]\dot{x}_1 = f_1(x_1,t) ; \,\,\,x_1: [t_0,T]\to\mathbb{R}^n, f_1:\mathbb{R}^n\times[t_0,T]\to\mathbb{R}^n \\ \vdots \\[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}_k = f_k(x_k,t); \,\,\,x_1: [t_0,T]\to\mathbb{R}^n, f_1:\mathbb{R}^n\times[t_0,T]\to\mathbb{R}^n \\[/tex]

Let [itex]C(p,t)[/itex] denote the convex hull of [itex]\{f_1(p,t), f_2(p,t),...,f_k(p,t) \}[/itex], where [itex]p\in\mathbb{R}^n,t\in[t_0,T] [/itex]

Let [itex]C_t(t)[/itex] denote the convex hull of trajectories, that is, the convex hull of [itex]\{x_1(t),...x_k(t)\} [/itex]

Then every solution [itex]z(t)[/itex] to the differential inclusion:

[tex]\dot{y}(t) \in C(y,t); \,\,\, y: [t_0,T]\to\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

satisfies the following property: If [itex]z(t_0)\in C_t(t_0)$, then $z(t)\in C_t(t)\forall t \in[t_0,T][/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum post author,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and equations on differential inclusions. It is clear that you have a strong understanding of the topic and have presented it in a clear and concise manner.

I would like to add that differential inclusions are a powerful tool in studying dynamical systems. They allow us to consider a range of possible trajectories that a system could take, rather than just a single solution as in traditional differential equations.

The property you have stated, that if the initial condition lies in the convex hull of the trajectories, then the solution will also lie in the convex hull for all times, is an important one. It ensures that the solutions to the differential inclusion are consistent with the dynamics of the system and do not deviate from the expected behavior.

Additionally, the use of convex hulls in defining the set of possible trajectories is a clever approach. It allows for a more flexible and general representation of the system, while still maintaining the necessary constraints.

Overall, your forum post provides a valuable contribution to the discussion on differential inclusions and their applications. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I know if my proof for a differential inclusion is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a proof for a differential inclusion is to carefully follow the logical steps and ensure that each step is justified. It can also be helpful to consult with peers or a mentor to get feedback on the proof.

2. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for proving differential inclusions?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can be used to prove differential inclusions. Some common ones include using fixed point theorems, Lyapunov functions, and comparison principles.

3. Can I use numerical simulations as a form of proof for a differential inclusion?

No, numerical simulations cannot be considered a valid form of proof for a differential inclusion. While they can provide useful insights and visualizations, a rigorous mathematical proof is still necessary.

4. How can I simplify a complex differential inclusion to make it easier to prove?

One approach to simplifying a complex differential inclusion is to break it down into smaller parts and prove each part individually. Another strategy is to use geometric or algebraic properties to reduce the complexity of the differential inclusion.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving a differential inclusion?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving a differential inclusion include making incorrect assumptions, skipping steps, and using incorrect or irrelevant equations. It is also important to carefully check the initial and boundary conditions to ensure they are consistent with the differential equation.