How can i put the polaritiy of E thevenin's ?

• Thread starter bibo_dvd
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about why the polarity in the calculation for Thevenin's resistance and Thevenin's voltage is in a specific way. The answer is that it is based on the potential dividers, which show that Vb is greater than Va. Technically, the polarity of the battery can be switched by specifying a negative voltage, but this may not align with the convention of a battery's positive terminal being positive with respect to its negative terminal. It is possible to turn the symbol of the battery by rearranging the placement of "a" and "b" and the ground symbol.
bibo_dvd
Hello guys ..

i need your help with something

in this photo i understand the way to calculate R thevenin's and the way to calculate E thevenin's

but i couldn't understand

why did we put the polarity in this way ??

i mean why can't we put switch the polarity of the battery ??

Nbgt3Hl.jpg

thanks guys :))

Physics news on Phys.org
bibo_dvd said:
why did we put the polarity in this way ??
Because solving the potential dividers shows that Vb is greater (more positive) than Va.

i mean why can't we put switch the polarity of the battery ??
If you want to turn the battery symbol around you can do so by specifying the battery voltage to be -6V rather than +6V. Technically this is allowed, but it may bother some who insist that a battery's positive terminal really should be positive with respect to its negative terminal :smile:

okay that's mean that we can turn the symbol of the battery if we turned "a" and "b" in the other side ??
i mean if we put b in the upper right side and a in the lower right side ?? :)

bibo_dvd said:
okay that's mean that we can turn the symbol of the battery if we turned "a" and "b" in the other side ??
i mean if we put b in the upper right side and a in the lower right side ?? :)

Sure, if you also move the ground symbol to the top so it stays connected to b.

First of all, it's great that you are seeking to understand the concept of E Thevenin's and its polarity. In order to answer your question, let's first review what E Thevenin's represents. E Thevenin's is the voltage that would be measured across the output terminals of a circuit when all the internal sources (such as batteries) are replaced with their internal resistances. This is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which is used to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and a single resistance.

Now, to address your question about why we can't switch the polarity of the battery in the Thevenin equivalent circuit, it is important to understand that the polarity of a voltage source determines the direction of current flow in a circuit. In the Thevenin equivalent circuit, the polarity of E Thevenin's is chosen in a way that it aligns with the original polarity of the voltage source in the original circuit. This ensures that the direction of current flow remains the same in both circuits.

If we were to switch the polarity of the battery in the Thevenin equivalent circuit, it would result in a different direction of current flow compared to the original circuit. This would lead to incorrect calculations and potentially inaccurate results. Therefore, it is important to keep the polarity consistent in both circuits when determining E Thevenin's.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the importance of polarity in the Thevenin equivalent circuit. Keep up the curiosity and keep asking questions! That's what science is all about.

1. How do I determine the polarity of E Thevenin's?

The polarity of E Thevenin's can be determined by examining the circuit diagram and identifying the direction of current flow. The positive terminal of E Thevenin's will always be on the side of the circuit with higher potential.

2. What is the significance of determining the polarity of E Thevenin's?

Determining the polarity of E Thevenin's is important because it allows you to correctly connect the circuit to other components. This ensures that the circuit will function properly and avoid any potential damage.

3. Can the polarity of E Thevenin's change?

No, the polarity of E Thevenin's is fixed and will not change. It is determined by the components and configuration of the circuit.

4. How does the polarity of E Thevenin's affect circuit analysis?

The polarity of E Thevenin's does not affect the analysis of the circuit. It is simply a reference point for connecting other components and does not impact the overall behavior of the circuit.

5. Is there a way to determine the polarity of E Thevenin's experimentally?

Yes, the polarity of E Thevenin's can be determined experimentally by measuring the voltage across the terminals of the circuit and comparing it to the known voltage of E Thevenin's. The positive terminal will have a higher voltage than the negative terminal.