How Can I Quickly Solve Basic Physics Problems for My Course?

• Thread starter kathryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the questions involve calculating the velocity of a boat relative to the river bank in different scenarios. In the first scenario, the boat is moving downstream at 11 km/h while the river is flowing at 4 km/h, making the velocity of the boat relative to the bank 15 km/h. In the second scenario, the boat is moving upstream at 9 km/h, making its velocity relative to the bank 5 km/h. The concept can be compared to a car on a highway passing another car at a faster speed.
kathryn
I realize that these are really easy questions, but I am just starting a correspondence course and I need to finish the first half of my physics course in less than a month to graduate. Thanks for any help!

1. A straight river with parallel banks flows at 4 km/h. A boat moves directly downstream relative to the water at 11 km/h. The velocity of the boat relative to the river bank is...____________

2. If the boat moves directly upstream relative to the water of the river of #1, at 9 km/h, its velocity to the river bank is now..._________

Thanks for any help at all...

Physics news on Phys.org
Its moving 11km/h faster than the water is, right? So how fast is that on the stream?
If your on the freeway going 50mph relative to the ground and someone passes you going 10mph faster than you are, how fast are they going relative to the ground?

2. Its the same thing except opposite direction, try to set up a "forward direction", then if your good with vectors your good to go.

Hello,

I understand that you are in need of assistance with your physics questions. It is great that you are taking a correspondence course and working towards your graduation. I am happy to help you with your questions.

1. The velocity of the boat relative to the river bank is 15 km/h. This can be calculated by using the formula v = v1 + v2, where v is the total velocity, v1 is the velocity of the river and v2 is the velocity of the boat relative to the river. Therefore, v = 4 km/h + 11 km/h = 15 km/h.

2. The velocity of the boat relative to the river bank is 5 km/h. This can be calculated by using the same formula as above, where v1 is now the velocity of the boat and v2 is the velocity of the river. Therefore, v = 9 km/h - 4 km/h = 5 km/h.

I hope this helps you with your questions. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to reach out. All the best for your course and graduation! Keep up the good work.

Related to How Can I Quickly Solve Basic Physics Problems for My Course?

1. What is the best approach for solving physics questions?

The best approach for solving physics questions is to first understand the concepts and principles involved in the question. Then, break down the question into smaller parts and use equations and formulas to solve for the unknown variables. Finally, double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the question.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. This will help you become familiar with different types of questions and develop strategies for solving them. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek help from a tutor to get feedback and learn from others' approaches to problem-solving.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics questions include using incorrect units, not paying attention to significant figures, and forgetting to consider all the forces and factors involved in the problem. It is also important to check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formulas for the given situation.

4. How can I use diagrams and visuals to help me solve physics questions?

Diagrams and visuals can be very useful in solving physics questions as they can help you visualize the problem and understand the relationships between different variables. They can also help you identify any missing information or identify the correct formula to use. Additionally, drawing free-body diagrams and labeling forces can help you keep track of all the forces acting on an object.

5. What are some helpful resources for solving physics questions?

Some helpful resources for solving physics questions include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems, and working with a study group. It is also beneficial to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.