1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i show the relationship of a plane relative to the earth using two given vect

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can i show the relationship of a plane relative to the earth using two given vectors?
    The nose of an ultralight plane is pointed south, and its airspeed indicator shows 35 m/s. The plane is in a 10 m/s wind blowing toward the southwet relative to the earth.

a) In a vector addition diagram, show the relationship of the vector of the velocity of the plane relative to the earth to the two given vectors.

b) Leting x be east and y be north, find the components of the vector of plane relative to the earth.

c) Find the magnitude and direction of the vector of the plane relative to the earth

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure how to start this problem. I have tried using a freebody diagram but that wasnt useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: How can i show the relationship of a plane relative to the earth using two given

Show your attempts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook