How can I simplify this?

• Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary: So if y is a power series, the first term in the series is a power of the second term. However, when you try to find the power series for y^2, the second term gets cut off (since there's no y^2 between -1 and 1). So you need to find a way to extend the series so the second term isn't cut off.You should provide all the information, or preferably the entire question. Type it all or just modify and attach a screenshot or picture to your first post.x isn't a constant, it's a variable since I'm working with a
tamtam402

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the interval of convergence of the serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n/2}}{nln(n)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book states that the serie isn't a power serie, but a substitution can be used to transform it into a power serie. I tried to pose [itex]y^{n} = x^{n/2}[/itex].

I also know that I must use the ratio test. Maybe there's another way to solve it, but the book states that the ratio test must be used. My problem is that I don't know how to simplify the ln(n+1) term that appears when I do that. Would anyone mind giving me a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tamtam402

Please use a descriptive title related to the actual problem in your post, according to the forum rules. This will help to bring more attention to your problem.
[tex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n/2}}{nln(n)}[/tex]It appears that using the Alternative Series Test might be helpful as the first step.

Unfortunately the book states that the problem must be done using the ratio test. I'm stuck with the ln(n+1) term, I don't know how to simplify it with the ln(n) term.

What is x? Is it a constant? If yes, what value does it have? Is it greater than 0? You should provide all the information, or preferably the entire question. Type it all or just modify and attach a screenshot or picture to your first post.

x isn't a constant, it's a variable since I'm working with a power serie. I wrote all the informations given in the book in my first post.

The information given in the book is that I should do a substitution to transform the serie into a "real" power serie. Then I have to use the ratio test, and take the limit of n -> infinity on the ratio.

According to a theorem, the power serie converges for the values of x where -1 < lim n-> infinity pn < 1

The final step is to analyze the boundaries. However, I'm unable to simplify the ratio since I have a ln(n+1) term on the denominator and a ln(n) term on the numerator. I don't know how to simplify these.

You cannot simplify algebraically ##\frac{\ln(n)}{\ln(n+1)}##. But there is a way to find ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\ln(n)}{\ln(n+1)}## using techniques from calculus. Hint: What are the limits of the numerator and denominator?

And while it's not immediately applicable, the alternating series test might prove useful later in the problem.

tamtam402 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the interval of convergence of the serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n/2}}{nln(n)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The book states that the serie isn't a power serie, but a substitution can be used to transform it into a power serie. I tried to pose [itex]y^{n} = x^{n/2}[/itex].

I also know that I must use the ratio test. Maybe there's another way to solve it, but the book states that the ratio test must be used. My problem is that I don't know how to simplify the ln(n+1) term that appears when I do that. Would anyone mind giving me a clue?

For small t > 0 we have ln(1+t) = t + O(t^2), so ln(n+1) = ln(n) + ln(1 + 1/n) = ln(n) + (1/n) + O(1/n^2) for large n. Using that should allow you to say enough about the ratio.

RGV

1. How can I simplify a complex scientific concept?

Simplifying a complex scientific concept requires breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main ideas and key terms, and then find ways to explain them in simple language. Using analogies or real-life examples can also help make the concept easier to understand.

2. What are some strategies for simplifying data analysis?

One strategy for simplifying data analysis is to organize the data into categories or groups. This can help identify patterns and make it easier to draw conclusions. Another strategy is to use visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to present the data in a more digestible format.

3. How can I simplify a complicated experiment or procedure?

To simplify a complicated experiment or procedure, try breaking it down into smaller steps and following a clear, logical sequence. Use diagrams or flowcharts to visually represent the steps. Also, make sure to clearly define any technical terms or jargon used in the experiment.

4. What are some tips for simplifying scientific writing?

One tip for simplifying scientific writing is to use clear and concise language. Avoid using overly complex words or phrases and opt for simpler alternatives. Also, break up long sentences and paragraphs to make the writing more readable. Finally, have someone else read your writing and provide feedback on areas that may be confusing or unclear.

5. How can I simplify the presentation of my research findings?

To simplify the presentation of your research findings, focus on the key points and avoid getting bogged down in too many details. Use visual aids, such as slides or posters, to present the information in a more engaging and easy-to-understand format. Also, practice your presentation beforehand to ensure you are able to clearly and concisely explain your findings.