1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I simplify this?

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out the interval of convergence of the serie:

[itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n/2}}{nln(n)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The book states that the serie isn't a power serie, but a substitution can be used to transform it into a power serie. I tried to pose [itex]y^{n} = x^{n/2}[/itex].

I also know that I must use the ratio test. Maybe there's another way to solve it, but the book states that the ratio test must be used. My problem is that I don't know how to simplify the ln(n+1) term that appears when I do that. Would anyone mind giving me a clue?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Hi tamtam402

Please use a descriptive title related to the actual problem in your post, according to the forum rules. This will help to bring more attention to your problem.
    [tex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n/2}}{nln(n)}[/tex]It appears that using the Alternative Series Test might be helpful as the first step.

4. May 20, 2012 #3
    Unfortunately the book states that the problem must be done using the ratio test. I'm stuck with the ln(n+1) term, I don't know how to simplify it with the ln(n) term.

5. May 20, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

What is x? Is it a constant? If yes, what value does it have? Is it greater than 0? You should provide all the information, or preferably the entire question. Type it all or just modify and attach a screenshot or picture to your first post.

6. May 20, 2012 #5
    x isn't a constant, it's a variable since I'm working with a power serie. I wrote all the informations given in the book in my first post.

The information given in the book is that I should do a substitution to transform the serie into a "real" power serie. Then I have to use the ratio test, and take the limit of n -> infinity on the ratio.

According to a theorem, the power serie converges for the values of x where -1 < lim n-> infinity pn < 1

The final step is to analyze the boundaries. However, I'm unable to simplify the ratio since I have a ln(n+1) term on the denominator and a ln(n) term on the numerator. I don't know how to simplify these.

7. May 20, 2012 #6
    You cannot simplify algebraically ##\frac{\ln(n)}{\ln(n+1)}##. But there is a way to find ##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\ln(n)}{\ln(n+1)}## using techniques from calculus. Hint: What are the limits of the numerator and denominator?

And while it's not immediately applicable, the alternating series test might prove useful later in the problem.

8. May 20, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For small t > 0 we have ln(1+t) = t + O(t^2), so ln(n+1) = ln(n) + ln(1 + 1/n) = ln(n) + (1/n) + O(1/n^2) for large n. Using that should allow you to say enough about the ratio.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook