1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I solve it?

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    Hi all >>

How can I solve it?

A rectangular feeding pen for cattle is to be made with 100 meters of fencing .

Find :
    1 - If X represents the width of the pen, express its area A(X) in terms of X
    2 - What is the domain of the function A (determind by the physical restrictions ) ?

my regard

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to show us some work.

Can you show us the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by drawing a picture, labeling the variable(s) and showing what you have tried.

5. Oct 8, 2009 #4
    899.JPG

Then what I do?

6. Oct 8, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The attachment is pending approval, so we probably won't be able to see your drawing for several hours. What are the labels you put on each side of the rectangle? Keep in mind that you have 100 m. of fencing. What is the area of your rectangle? If you have labelled the sides correctly, you should have the area as a function of just one variable.

7. Oct 8, 2009 #6
    http://www.up-00.com/s1files/gv733764.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Oct 8, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you label the sides of the rectangle using just a single variable? You're given a value for the perimeter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook