How can I solve this Integral?

In summary, the student tried to solve a multiple choice problem using partial fraction decomposition but was unsuccessful.
Alexandra
Homework Statement
Hi, I'm trying to solve the next integral
Relevant Equations
\begin{equation}
\int ^{\infty} _{0} \dfrac{e^{ax} - e^{bx}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})} \ dx
\end{equation}
a > 0 ; b > 0
I split this to get
\begin{equation}
\int ^{\infty} _{0} \dfrac{e^{ax}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})} \ dx - \int ^{\infty} _{0} \dfrac{e^{bx}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})} \ dx
\end{equation}
Then I tried to solve the first term (both term are similars). The problem is that I made a substitution (many ones, but this has, for me, more meaning), but it didn't work: if u=exp(a*x), then
\begin{equation}
\dfrac{1}{a} \int ^{\infty} _{0} \dfrac{1}{(1+u)(1+u^{b/a})} \ dx
\end{equation}
I can't do partial fraction decomposition to this (b/a couldn't be a natural number).
I really don't know how to solve this. I put this into Wolfram Mathematica, but it can't solve it. I forgot mention that this is a multiple choice exercise. The posible answers are: 0 , 1 , b-a , (a-b) log 2 , [(a-b)/ab] log 2.
I suposse that 0 can't be the answer, because the solution of each term on (3) should depende on a and b by the same way (I know, it isn't a good enough reason).
1 neither could be a solution, because the terms in (3) are "simetrics". If the solution of one of then doesn't depend of a or b, then both terms are equal and the solution would be zero.
Then the solution would be some of the other 3 options, but I don't know which arguments are valid to say which one.
I hope someone can help me. Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I had two mistakes. When I reference the equation (3), I meant equation (2). And the lower index on the integral (3) is 1, not 0.

Isn't this something relatively trivial?:

$$\dfrac {A-B}{\left( 1+A\right) \left( 1+B\right) }=\dfrac {1}{\left( 1+B\right) }-\dfrac {1}{\left( 1+A\right) }$$

Likes Alexandra
Now I feel very stupid...Thanks epenguin!

Another trick you could use is tweaking the numerator as follows:
$$\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{ax} - e^{bx}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})}\,dx = \int^\infty_0 \frac{(1+e^{ax}) - (1+e^{bx})}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})}\,dx$$

Likes Alexandra
vela said:
Another trick you could use is tweaking the numerator as follows:
$$\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{ax} - e^{bx}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})}\,dx = \int^\infty_0 \frac{(1+e^{ax}) - (1+e^{bx})}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})}\,dx$$
That 's a very good trick, thanks vela!

1. How do I know which integration method to use?

The method you use to solve an integral depends on the form of the integrand. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to analyze the integrand and choose the most appropriate method.

2. What do I do if I encounter an indefinite integral?

If you encounter an indefinite integral (one without limits of integration), you will need to add a constant of integration to your final answer. This constant, denoted by C, allows for the possibility of multiple solutions to the integral.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

While there are some calculators that can solve basic integrals, it is important to understand the concepts and methods behind integration. Calculators should only be used as a tool to check your work, not as a replacement for understanding the process.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving integrals quickly?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut or trick to solving integrals quickly. Integration is a process that requires practice and understanding of various methods. However, with practice, you may become more efficient at recognizing which method to use for a given integral.

5. What do I do if I am stuck on a difficult integral?

If you are stuck on a difficult integral, it is important to first review the various integration methods and try to apply them to your integral. If you are still struggling, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or consult a textbook or online resource for additional examples and explanations.