1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i solve this

1. Jun 30, 2009 #1
    How can i solve this:

[tex]\int Log(Sin(x))dx[/tex]

? And if someone knows a good material on this please share :). Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A good place to start would be integration by parts, with u = ln(sin x), dv = dx. I'm assuming you are working with the natural log, ln, rather than base-10 log.

4. Jun 30, 2009 #3
    Pretty sure I end up with [tex]\int x*Cot(x) dx[/tex] and then ... ?

5. Jun 30, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You could do integration by parts again, but neither possible partition seems to get you anywhere. One choice-- u = cot x, dv = xdx gets you a harder integral, and the other -- u = x, dv = cot x dx takes you right back to the original integral being equal to itself, which is no help. If this were a definite integral, you might be able to approximate the integrand with a few terms of a Taylor's series.

I'm stumped.

6. Jun 30, 2009 #5
    You end up with:

[tex]xln(sin(x)) - \int x*Cot(x) dx[/tex]

Try using [tex]Cot(x)=\sqrt{\csc^2 (x) - 1}\ [/tex]

and substitute t=csc(x).

7. Jun 30, 2009 #6
    Wolframalpha doesn't give an elementary integral...

8. Jun 30, 2009 #7
    You can compute the definite integral from zero to pi quite easily, but I don't think the indefinite integral can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

In case of the definite integral, you substitute x = 2 t, then t goes from zero to pi/2, and you write Log[sin(2 t)] as Log(2) + Log[sin(t)] + Log[cos(t)]. By symmetry the two latter integrals are half the original integral. There is a factor 2 from dx = 2 dt, so you find that the integral I satisfies the equation:

I = pi Log(2) + 2 I ------->

I = - pi Log(2)

9. Jul 1, 2009 #8
    Ty Count Iblis :),nice approach .
    I need it undefined though. So I'm sure it can't be done with "ortodox" methods. I tried even with FT , but i don't have good hold of it. So i was wondering if you know something else?
    Also I think the result should be complex since Sin(x) can take a negative value.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. Jul 1, 2009 #9
    FT won't help if you're looking for a indefinite integral....right?
    I'm not sure if it can be expressed with just elementary functions.

11. Jul 1, 2009 #10
    I guessed so. So I'll try [0,y] so it wont go complex

12. Jul 1, 2009 #11
    For a non complex result, wouldn't you need sin(x) to remain positive?
    That would mean you have to restrict yourself to [tex][0,\pi][/tex], and not to [tex][0,y][/tex], wouldn't it? In which case, the definite integral has been shown by Count Ilbis.

13. Jul 1, 2009 #12
    Yes.True, forgot to mention. But for 0->[tex]\pi[/tex]/3 it won't work for example.

The idea is I'm missing some course,so i xero-copied from a colleague.Yet the only thing i got for this part from his courses (between 2 mickey mouse figures) is this integral defined once from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/4 which gives : -(G/2 + [tex]\pi[/tex]*Log[2]/4) . Which is wow , i mean what is G first.
    The problem is their all on holiday , couldn't contact the ones that know. So i'm curious what is the method and what to learn
    Yeah.. know sounds dumb, but it happens :|

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  14. Jul 1, 2009 #13
    You can express the indefinite integral in terms of the Barnes G-function, http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0308086" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook