Solving $\int Log(Sin(x))dx$ - Tips & Resources

• Thread starter Luhter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the integral of Log(Sin(x))dx and suggests using integration by parts. However, this method does not lead to a solution. Another approach is suggested using Cot(x)=\sqrt{\csc^2 (x) - 1}\ and substituting t=csc(x). However, this only gives a solution for the definite integral, not the indefinite one. It is mentioned that the indefinite integral may not be able to be solved using elementary functions and may require the use of the Barnes G-function.
Luhter
How can i solve this:

[tex]\int Log(Sin(x))dx[/tex]

? And if someone knows a good material on this please share :). Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start would be integration by parts, with u = ln(sin x), dv = dx. I'm assuming you are working with the natural log, ln, rather than base-10 log.

Pretty sure I end up with [tex]\int x*Cot(x) dx[/tex] and then ... ?

You could do integration by parts again, but neither possible partition seems to get you anywhere. One choice-- u = cot x, dv = xdx gets you a harder integral, and the other -- u = x, dv = cot x dx takes you right back to the original integral being equal to itself, which is no help. If this were a definite integral, you might be able to approximate the integrand with a few terms of a Taylor's series.

I'm stumped.

You end up with:

[tex]xln(sin(x)) - \int x*Cot(x) dx[/tex]

Try using [tex]Cot(x)=\sqrt{\csc^2 (x) - 1}\ [/tex]

and substitute t=csc(x).

Wolframalpha doesn't give an elementary integral...

You can compute the definite integral from zero to pi quite easily, but I don't think the indefinite integral can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

In case of the definite integral, you substitute x = 2 t, then t goes from zero to pi/2, and you write Log[sin(2 t)] as Log(2) + Log[sin(t)] + Log[cos(t)]. By symmetry the two latter integrals are half the original integral. There is a factor 2 from dx = 2 dt, so you find that the integral I satisfies the equation:

I = pi Log(2) + 2 I ------->

I = - pi Log(2)

Ty Count Iblis :),nice approach .
I need it undefined though. So I'm sure it can't be done with "ortodox" methods. I tried even with FT , but i don't have good hold of it. So i was wondering if you know something else?
Also I think the result should be complex since Sin(x) can take a negative value.

Last edited:
FT won't help if you're looking for a indefinite integral...right?
I'm not sure if it can be expressed with just elementary functions.

I guessed so. So I'll try [0,y] so it won't go complex

Luhter said:
I guessed so. So I'll try [0,y] so it won't go complex

For a non complex result, wouldn't you need sin(x) to remain positive?
That would mean you have to restrict yourself to [tex][0,\pi][/tex], and not to [tex][0,y][/tex], wouldn't it? In which case, the definite integral has been shown by Count Ilbis.

Yes.True, forgot to mention. But for 0->[tex]\pi[/tex]/3 it won't work for example.

The idea is I'm missing some course,so i xero-copied from a colleague.Yet the only thing i got for this part from his courses (between 2 mickey mouse figures) is this integral defined once from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex]/4 which gives : -(G/2 + [tex]\pi[/tex]*Log[2]/4) . Which is wow , i mean what is G first.
The problem is their all on holiday , couldn't contact the ones that know. So I'm curious what is the method and what to learn
Yeah.. know sounds dumb, but it happens :|

Last edited:
You can express the indefinite integral in terms of the Barnes G-function, http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0308086"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I approach solving $\int Log(Sin(x))dx$?

The most common approach to solving this integral is by using integration by parts. Let u = Log(Sin(x)) and dv = dx. Then, du = (1/Sin(x)) * Cos(x) dx and v = x. Applying the integration by parts formula, we get:
∫ Log(Sin(x)) dx = uv - ∫ v du
= x*Log(Sin(x)) - ∫ x*(1/Sin(x)) * Cos(x) dx
= x*Log(Sin(x)) - ∫ x*Cot(x) dx
= x*Log(Sin(x)) + x*Csc(x) - ∫ Csc(x) dx
= x*Log(Sin(x)) + x*Csc(x) + Ln|Csc(x) - Cot(x)| + C

2. Are there any other methods for solving this integral?

Yes, another method for solving this integral is by using trigonometric identities. We can rewrite Log(Sin(x)) as Log(Cos(π/2 - x)) using the identity Log(a) = -Log(1/a). Then, we can use the identity Log(a) = Log(b) - Log(c) to get:
Log(Cos(π/2 - x)) = Log(Sin(π/2)) - Log(Cos(x)) = Log(1) - Log(Cos(x)) = -Log(Cos(x))
Substituting this into the original integral, we get:
∫ Log(Sin(x)) dx = ∫ -Log(Cos(x)) dx
= -x*Log(Cos(x)) + ∫ x*Tan(x) dx
= -x*Log(Cos(x)) - x*Log(Cos(x)) + ∫ Log(Cos(x)) dx
= -2x*Log(Cos(x)) + C

3. Can I use any specific substitutions to make solving this integral easier?

Yes, you can use the substitution u = Sin(x) or u = Cos(x) to make solving this integral easier. Let's use the substitution u = Sin(x) as an example. Then, du = Cos(x) dx and the integral becomes:
∫ Log(Sin(x)) dx = ∫ Log(u) du
= u*Log(u) - ∫ u * (1/u) du
= u*Log(u) - ∫ du
= u*Log(u) - u + C
= Sin(x) * Log(Sin(x)) - Sin(x) + C

4. Are there any resources or tips for solving this integral?

Yes, there are several resources and tips that can help with solving this integral. Some tips include using properties of logarithms, such as Log(a*b) = Log(a) + Log(b) and Log(a^b) = b*Log(a), to simplify the integral. You can also use trigonometric identities, as mentioned earlier, to rewrite the integral in a more manageable form. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with integration by parts and trigonometric substitutions can make solving this integral easier. There are also many online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, available for further assistance.

5. Can this integral be solved without using any substitutions?

No, this integral cannot be solved without using any substitutions. Integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and substitutions are all necessary techniques for solving this integral. Attempting to solve it without any of these methods would result in a difficult and complex integral that would be challenging to solve.