How can I undertsand calculus better?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding advanced math concepts, specifically calculus and trigonometry. The speakers mention the importance of having a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before attempting to learn calculus. They also mention the struggles of others in understanding these subjects and the importance of sharpening algebra and trigonometry skills.
QuantumTheory
I don't understand it at all! I haven't taken trigometry yet, and it is very confusing to me. I know some algebra thoug, although I don't know the mirror function thing, and the quadratic formula and am still learning factoring and FOIL

I read Calculus For Dummies but I just asked a question on if there was a infinite amount of numbers between 2 numbers (ie 1 and 2) and these people answer me with these calculus inequalities and with a word called 'sup' which I haven't heard at all only in slang!

I think i remember that 2<x<2 is the same as x>2<2 but I dotn remember much
I Forgot a lot of basic math too

Its scary because I know one girl who was great in geometry and algebra, and was a tutor, and when she got into caluclus and trig she did horrible at it! My teacher wanted to be a mathemation but couldn't understand imaginionary numbers so he quit his dream! Now he's a teacher making barely minmum wage!

I want to be a physicst but I doubt I can do. I only have an average IQ!

Physics news on Phys.org
You really need a strong background in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry to understand calculus. I would suggest working on those first.

Yes most definitely. I would say that your algebra skills will be most important at first, then you will use more trig. later on. Definitely know both well though!

Alex

ya if i could do it again, i'd sharpen up my algebra & trig skills. i think i'd also go over all kinds of different functions like floor/ceiling, etc & their graphs.

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important because it allows us to understand and solve complex problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

2. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic mathematical concepts. Practice solving problems and seek help from tutors or online resources if you are struggling with a particular concept.

3. What are the key concepts in calculus that I should focus on?

The key concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is essential to have a thorough understanding of these concepts to excel in calculus.

4. How can I make calculus less intimidating?

One way to make calculus less intimidating is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. Also, try to understand the real-world applications of calculus, which can make it more relatable and interesting.

5. What resources are available to help me understand calculus better?

There are many resources available to help you understand calculus better, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses and lectures on calculus that can be helpful in improving your understanding.