How can I use kinematics to solve this question?

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the minimum length of the barge for the plane to not fall into the sea can be calculated by finding the distances it takes for the plane and barge to reach their final speeds, using the work-KE theorem or kinematics. The distance should be at least equal to the extra distance the plane takes to slow down on the barge. The answer may differ depending on the frame of reference used and the method of calculation.
PiRsq
A plane (mass=1000kg) is trying to land on a barge(mass=2300kg). The plane lands with a speed of 50m/s at one end of the barge. The barge is on a calm sea. The force of friction between the plane and the barge is 1/4 the force of gravity acting on the plane. What should be the minimum length of the barge for the plane to not fall into the sea?

What I think:

The only netforce acting on the plane is the force of friction. The plane undergoes a change in momentum which is transferred to the barge(which I do not see how it affects the length of the barge, we are not regarding relativistic effects). I can use the change in momentum and netforce to find the time interval. So since I have the final velocity, initial velocity, time, acceleration, how can I use kinematics to solve this question? Should I use kinematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already know the velocity profile, you should be able to calculate the distance the plane goes along the barge. This is the minimum length of the barge, since if the barge were any shorter, the plane would fall off the edge before it stopped.

Originally posted by PiRsq
The only netforce acting on the plane is the force of friction. The plane undergoes a change in momentum which is transferred to the barge(which I do not see how it affects the length of the barge, we are not regarding relativistic effects). I can use the change in momentum and netforce to find the time interval. So since I have the final velocity, initial velocity, time, acceleration, how can I use kinematics to solve this question? Should I use kinematics?
Assuming that you can ignore the drag of the water on the boat, you can easily find the final velocity of the boat + plane. The "trick" is then to calculate the distances (measured from a frame at rest in the water) it takes for the plane and barge to reach their final speeds. The plane takes a longer distance than the barge---the barge better be at least as long as that extra distance.

To find the distances, I would use the so-called work-KE theorem, calculating it separately for each body:
F*ΔXcm= ΔKE

This is, of course, equivalent to finding the acceleration of each body and using kinematics:
V2f = V2i + 2aΔX

So basically, when the plane slows down on the barge, it accelerates the barge in the direction of its velocity. But if I was on the ship, the distance should be fixed right? So I used the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2aÄx and got 510 m. But the books answer is 340 meters, what didn't I think of?

Originally posted by PiRsq
So basically, when the plane slows down on the barge, it accelerates the barge in the direction of its velocity.
Right. The plane deccelerates; the barge accelerates.
But if I was on the ship, the distance should be fixed right?
If you mean that from the point of view of the ship, the ship doesn't move, then you are correct. But the ship accelerates, so it is not an inertial frame.
So I used the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2aÄx and got 510 m. But the books answer is 340 meters, what didn't I think of?
Since I have no idea how you applied that equation, I cannot comment. What did you get for the final speed? Did you calculate the two distances like I described earlier?

1. How do I identify the variables in a kinematics problem?

In a kinematics problem, the variables typically include position, velocity, acceleration, time, and any other quantities related to the motion being studied. To identify these variables, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, and then make a list of the quantities that are given and the ones that need to be solved for.

2. How do I choose the appropriate kinematics equations to use?

There are a few key equations that are commonly used in kinematics problems, such as the equations for constant velocity or constant acceleration. To choose the right equation, you need to determine which variables are known and which ones need to be solved for. Then, you can select the equation that involves those variables.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity gives an overall picture of the speed of an object, while instantaneous velocity gives the speed at a specific point in time.

4. How can I use kinematics to solve for displacement?

To solve for displacement in a kinematics problem, you can use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s represents displacement, u represents initial velocity, a represents acceleration, and t represents time. You will need to have at least three of these variables to solve for the fourth one.

5. Can I use kinematics to solve for motion in more than one dimension?

Yes, kinematics can be used to solve for motion in multiple dimensions. In this case, the equations will involve vectors and the variables will include both magnitude and direction. It is important to carefully identify and label the components of the motion in each dimension to accurately apply the kinematics equations.