1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can light move at C?

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    I've been reading alot about quantam physics and whatnot mostly for entertainment, but it suddenly hit me today that I didn't realize something. Why doesn't light get infinitely heavy, and therefore take an infinite amount of energy to move it? I've always accepted both the heavy, energy, and time factors of moving at the speed of light, but why isn't light itself affected by its movement? I must have missed something crucial. What further confused me is that light is affected by gravity, but not by its own speed.

Here's the question (just for a recap)

1. Why doesn't light get infinitely heavy, there fore taking an infinite amount of energy to move it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2010 #2
    Photons are massless? Massless particles, if I am not wrong, only travel at c. We experimentally find them to be as massless as possible. They are affected by gravity because they travel in curved paths which are caused by masses as they bend spacetime.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    Ohhh! Now I think I get it. :-) Thanks for the answer!

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook