How can someone achieve invisibility?

• Thread starter nomorevishnu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invisible
In summary, the conversation discusses various ideas and suggestions for making someone invisible. These include using an invisibility cloak, a complex video and optical system, and a special suit that manipulates light. There is also a mention of using a device that affects the mind of anyone looking in the direction of the invisible person. The possibility of genetic implantation is also brought up. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that true invisibility is not currently possible due to the speed of light and the limitations of the human body.
By running...a lot! a lot lot lot! Your inertia will increase!

You'll become a black hole! BAM, light can't escape you!

Physics news on Phys.org
taylaron said:
ok, this is based off of the sci-fiction series called Artemis Fowl.

in the book these creatures use a certain vibration which the humans can't see. in otherwords, making the molecules in your body vibrate at a frequency that the human eye naturally can't see.
of course there are many many ways to get around this but. keeping with this idea, any thoughts?
i know that things going at a sertain speed, can't be seen by the human eye.
the only poblem its, it would have to be going back and forth as to not go straight. when you "stop" at the end of your vibration, you slow down in order to go the exact opposite direction. making you visible. slightly
is there anything that could make you vibrate at different frequency?
or am i just crazy? :rofl:

VIBRATION PEOPLE!

Well you aren't crazy. That author's ideas is though. It sounds good that's for sure, but what does he mean exactly? Your molecules are vibrating right now as we speak and I can still see you. If the US treasury had a nickel for everytime that I've heard terms vibration, frequency and harmonics used out of context to explain time travel or invisibility, the US would be out of debt.

I think the idea if I am understanding it correctly, is like waving your hand very quickly in front of your face so that it appears somewhat invisible. But as you pointed out yourself, at either ends of the vibration your hand must slow down to change direction and it then becomes very visible.

The reason people generally want to turn invisible is either to mask your presence or to mask your location. For masking your location the "turning off the lights" proposal actually works. You could generate some photonic vacuum that makes a large area dark enough to give you that tactical advantage, while using sonar to see (although that can also be blocked by changing or removing the sound medium)

:wink: I say the best way to do it is by moving a person to a different dimension. Heck string theory has a bunch left over. If you move a person there they would still be around but would be invisible in our 4 dimensions!

Wait maybe you could shift someone in time by a microsecond. They would be out of phase and thus be invisible!

Somebody lock this quick!