Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can prove this ?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    All characters are vector quantities

The question is prove the following equation:

→ → → → → → → → → →
    (2a + b)×(c -a ) + (b + c)×(a × b) = a × c

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    Can you put forward any idea that you may have on solving this problem?

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    Why don't you use the asociative, distributive and anticonmutative properties of the cross product?

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks very simple to me by just doing what AiRAVATA says. As you would expect, a loot of things cancel. Look especially carefully at the "anti-commutative" property since you may not be used to that. In particular, what is axa?

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    a x a <=> |a|*|a|*cosθ ,
    because θ=0 so |a|*|a|*cosθ =0 , a x a =0
    Can you give a sample example relative my question? I can not find any example on my schoolbook.
    Thanks you!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. Apr 24, 2007 #6

KTC

AiRAVATA and HallsofIvy already told you. Expand and it cancels out simply. Have you actually tried it?

8. Apr 28, 2007 #7
    Hi
    The reasult is the question is wrong. Someone was sure the question was wrong at frist glance. The question can not be allowd by dimension role.

(b + c)×(a × b) may change to (b + c)×(a + b)

In that case, the question was very easy.
    Thanks!

9. Apr 29, 2007 #8
    Surely you mean sinθ, not cosθ. Just wanted to alert you of this mistake... also, that equation only measures the length, since the cross product yields a vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?