1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can prove this ?

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    All characters are vector quantities

The question is prove the following equation:

→ → → → → → → → → →
    (2a + b)×(c -a ) + (b + c)×(a × b) = a × c

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    Can you put forward any idea that you may have on solving this problem?

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    Why don't you use the asociative, distributive and anticonmutative properties of the cross product?

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks very simple to me by just doing what AiRAVATA says. As you would expect, a loot of things cancel. Look especially carefully at the "anti-commutative" property since you may not be used to that. In particular, what is axa?

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    a x a <=> |a|*|a|*cosθ ,
    because θ=0 so |a|*|a|*cosθ =0 , a x a =0
    Can you give a sample example relative my question? I can not find any example on my schoolbook.
    Thanks you!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. Apr 24, 2007 #6

KTC

AiRAVATA and HallsofIvy already told you. Expand and it cancels out simply. Have you actually tried it?

8. Apr 28, 2007 #7
    Hi
    The reasult is the question is wrong. Someone was sure the question was wrong at frist glance. The question can not be allowd by dimension role.

(b + c)×(a × b) may change to (b + c)×(a + b)

In that case, the question was very easy.
    Thanks!

9. Apr 29, 2007 #8
    Surely you mean sinθ, not cosθ. Just wanted to alert you of this mistake... also, that equation only measures the length, since the cross product yields a vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook