How can radiation from the Big Bang come from all directions?

In summary: Cosmological Principle is shows a lack of understanding of physics.The failure... to understand what the Cosmological Principle is shows a lack of understanding of physics.
nikkkom said:
By now, the walls are (apparently) 13.7 billion light-years away from us.
They are closer to 46 billion light years away.

Space news on Phys.org
bapowell said:
They are closer to 46 billion light years away.

I meant that CMB light we detect today traveled 13.7 billion years. I don't want to get into the discussion of many more different ways to express the distance to the surface of last scattering.

nikkkom said:
I meant that CMB light we detect today traveled 13.7 billion years. I don't want to get into the discussion of many more different ways to express the distance to the surface of last scattering.
That's fine. Just pointing out that what you wrote is incorrect, lest it lead to confusion. Because of the expansion, the distance traveled by CMB photons is longer than just time multiplied by the speed of light.

Surely that point is covered by nikkom's paranthetic use of the word "apparently"? I actually found your clarification muddied the issue for me, since the use of "apparently" seems to make his statement correct. Now I don't understand why you would consider it wrong. In what way does the CMB not appear to be 13.7 billion years away?

Ophiolite said:
In what way does the CMB not appear to be 13.7 billion years away?
As bapowell said, you cannot multiply light travel time by c and hope to get any cosmological distance that makes sense. Some popular writings try to call it "light travel distance", but even that's wrong. The 13.7 billion years is just light travel time and that's that.

When the light left the region of the observed CMB, it was only 42 million light years (proper distance) from the region where we find ourselves in. By now that distance has expanded to over 45 billion light years. Yes, there are various other ways to express cosmological distances, but none of them gives you 13.7 billion ly for the CMB.

I appreciate your effort to help me understand. However, what you have said seems to align with my previous understanding. But - because he has included the words "apparently" - it also, to me, accords with what nikkom said. You and bapowell appear to be correcting something that nikkom has not actually said - but would have said if he had not included the word apparently.

That said, I do not wish to derail the thread any further with a discussion that revolves around my reading comprehension.

Ophiolite said:
I appreciate your effort to help me understand. However, what you have said seems to align with my previous understanding. But - because he has included the words "apparently" - it also, to me, accords with what nikkom said. You and bapowell appear to be correcting something that nikkom has not actually said - but would have said if he had not included the word apparently.

That said, I do not wish to derail the thread any further with a discussion that revolves around my reading comprehension.
Ophiolite, have a look at the section entitled "The edge of the observable universe" here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/inflationary-misconceptions-basics-cosmological-horizons/. In particular, Figure 5 illustrates why the expansion of the universe increases the travel distance of light as compared to a static universe.

bapowell said:
Ophiolite, have a look at the section entitled "The edge of the observable universe" here: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/inflationary-misconceptions-basics-cosmological-horizons/. In particular, Figure 5 illustrates why the expansion of the universe increases the travel distance of light as compared to a static universe.
I really am reluctant to be taking this off-topic, however... I think I understand the article you have linked to. I believe it reflects the understanding I have had of the subject for three decades or so.

But, you are now causing me to thoroughly doubt any part of that understanding. Perhaps the answer to this question will bring the matter to a close. In what way do the most distant galaxies not appear to be 13 billion light years away? I understand they are much further than that; I think I understand why they are much further than that; I do not understand why you assert they do not appear to be some 13 billion light years away.

Thank you for your efforts.

Ophiolite said:
I really am reluctant to be taking this off-topic, however... I think I understand the article you have linked to. I believe it reflects the understanding I have had of the subject for three decades or so.

But, you are now causing me to thoroughly doubt any part of that understanding. Perhaps the answer to this question will bring the matter to a close. In what way do the most distant galaxies not appear to be 13 billion light years away? I understand they are much further than that; I think I understand why they are much further than that; I do not understand why you assert they do not appear to be some 13 billion light years away.

Thank you for your efforts.
What do you mean by "appear". A light beam hits a detector. It appears as a microwave. In what way does that lead you to conclude that it originated 13billion years ago? More to the point, in what way does that lead you to conclude that it started out 13 billion light years away?

My point is that it doesn't appear as anything other than a microwave that could have been sent from down the block. To reach any conclusion about when and where it started out, you have to use knowledge of cosmology and do calculations.

<h2>1. What is the Big Bang theory?</h2><p>The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.</p><h2>2. How did radiation from the Big Bang come from all directions?</h2><p>According to the Big Bang theory, the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion known as inflation. During this time, the universe was filled with a hot, dense soup of particles and energy. As the universe expanded, this energy cooled and formed into radiation, which is now known as the cosmic microwave background (CMB). The CMB is present in all directions because it is a remnant of the early stages of the universe's expansion.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of radiation from the Big Bang coming from all directions?</h2><p>The fact that radiation from the Big Bang is present in all directions is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. It supports the idea that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding uniformly since then. The CMB also provides important information about the composition and structure of the early universe.</p><h2>4. How is the radiation from the Big Bang detected?</h2><p>The CMB is detected using specialized instruments, such as the Cosmic Microwave Background Explorer (COBE) and the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). These instruments are able to detect and measure the faint microwave radiation that permeates the entire universe. The data collected from these instruments has provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory.</p><h2>5. Can we see the Big Bang itself?</h2><p>No, we cannot see the Big Bang itself. The universe was incredibly hot and dense in its early stages, making it impossible for light to travel freely. However, we can observe the afterglow of the Big Bang in the form of the CMB, which is essentially the oldest light in the universe. By studying the CMB, scientists can gain insight into the early stages of the universe and test the predictions of the Big Bang theory.</p>

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How did radiation from the Big Bang come from all directions?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion known as inflation. During this time, the universe was filled with a hot, dense soup of particles and energy. As the universe expanded, this energy cooled and formed into radiation, which is now known as the cosmic microwave background (CMB). The CMB is present in all directions because it is a remnant of the early stages of the universe's expansion.

3. What is the significance of radiation from the Big Bang coming from all directions?

The fact that radiation from the Big Bang is present in all directions is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. It supports the idea that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding uniformly since then. The CMB also provides important information about the composition and structure of the early universe.

4. How is the radiation from the Big Bang detected?

The CMB is detected using specialized instruments, such as the Cosmic Microwave Background Explorer (COBE) and the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). These instruments are able to detect and measure the faint microwave radiation that permeates the entire universe. The data collected from these instruments has provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory.

5. Can we see the Big Bang itself?

No, we cannot see the Big Bang itself. The universe was incredibly hot and dense in its early stages, making it impossible for light to travel freely. However, we can observe the afterglow of the Big Bang in the form of the CMB, which is essentially the oldest light in the universe. By studying the CMB, scientists can gain insight into the early stages of the universe and test the predictions of the Big Bang theory.