Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can science be against God

1. May 22, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

How can science be against God!!

I don’t and won’t attempt to discus religion. as I know, most well known scientist and physicists do believe in God the one who creates the universe [not all], but I noticed that a number of you guys don’t.... in fact, I’m posting this to understand those of you who claim that they are non believers of such a god [Atheists]. Truly, loud and clear DON’T speak about religion [unless if religion itself is the cause of you turning to be an atheist, and don’t mention what religion was it, cause it’s not about comparisons between religions], and what scientific claims are there that proves there is no God?

I really want to know from you guys:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: How can science be against God!!

You know that? I certainly don't think it's particularly clear. Unless you have actual evidence to back claim like this, you really should avoid them.

4. May 22, 2009 #3

I am agnostic, it's good insurance.

5. May 22, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

fine then, no you're right, but it's not even the point of this thread [and note I did said not all, and that also doesn't necessarily means they're idols if the most are/aren't believers, I just wana say there are both views in the scientific community] I need to hear from the members here what do they think.

6. May 22, 2009 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

I'ld like to do a poll, who does believe in God and who isn't, how can I do it?

7. May 22, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

I wana understand please:smile:

8. May 22, 2009 #7

As far as I know, most of them don't, and I know quite a bunch of them personally.
    As far as I know, the few who do have some sort of faith would certainly not express it as naively. Several physicists who are believer and with whom I could talk personally would claim that faith feelings can be described as you share emotions, but not explained rationally and certainly not depicted as a human story, with a hero creating something and a villain trying to destroy it.

I think science and religion play in a different universe. None of them should contradict the other, otherwise it indicates one has conceptual issues with at least one of them. For me, your statement is as good as saying "car mechanics can fix my kitchen cooking".

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  9. May 22, 2009 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl: ok look I'm not trying to prove who's right or wrong... that was your own words and I want to hear it [:wink:]

10. May 22, 2009 #9

Atheists = no belief in deities.

Most scientist I know and talk to are atheist. The ones who DO hold a faith though are as humanino stated not doing so naively. And most don't follow religious scripture as innerent.

I myself would consider myself an atheist... but I still beleive something brought about the existence of our universe... but thats in another thread. You can go read it if you like. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314292

11. May 22, 2009 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't philosophy. Just an opinion poll.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook