Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can standard enthalpy values be negative?

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1
    Certain aqueous ions have negative values for SO, such as Ca2+ with -55.2 J/(K*mol); how is this possible when dissolution is usually an increase in entropy?

Also, all pure elements seem to have positive standard entropy value; why is this the case?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2
    Enthalpy or entropy?

Aceix..

4. Mar 19, 2015 #3
    Oh jeez, I'm so sorry. I meant to say entropy. My bad.

5. Mar 19, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start dropping solvent dipoles into an electrical potential well. There's more going on than just entropy of mixing.

6. Mar 19, 2015 #5
    So is the dipole interaction between the solute and the solvent great enough that dissolution will result in an overall decrease in entropy despite the entropy of mixing?

7. Mar 19, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can the charge-dipole interaction be that large? Yes. Is it always? No. That's what keeps measurement labs busy.

8. Mar 19, 2015 #7
    Makes sense. Thank you.
    Also, could you answer my other question about elements always having a positive standard enthalpy?

9. Mar 19, 2015 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Enthalpy? Again, you mean "entropy?" It's the integral of Cp/T from absolute zero to 298 K (or whatever T for the table).

10. Mar 19, 2015 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook