1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?

1. Aug 12, 2017 #1
    How is it possible to ignore the addition sign and imaginary number without contradicting fundamental Mathematics?

I find it difficult to understand.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
    is not correct. Where did you get this ?

4. Aug 12, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is just a different way to represent the numbers.
    By giving the real and imaginary part of a complex number you can uniquely identify this number.

An analogy in the positive integers: You can write every number by its prime factorization.
    You can write 2*3*5 or "2,3,5" instead of 30. Same thing, just written in a different way, and there is a 1:1 relation between numbers and their prime factorization.

5. Aug 12, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 12, 2017 #5
    True that. I have edited it. But my question is correct and after thinking about it, I have found the answer myself. I just find it hard to put into words the exact thing in my mind. That's why the question is incomprehensible. But I think fresh_42 has understood my question.

Thank you for the answer BvU :)

7. Aug 12, 2017 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted