Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can we consider a complex number as two separate real numbers for in X and Y plane?

1. Aug 12, 2017 #1
    How is it possible to ignore the addition sign and imaginary number without contradicting fundamental Mathematics?

I find it difficult to understand.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    We don't ignore anything. Don't contradict anything either.
    is not correct. Where did you get this ?

4. Aug 12, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is just a different way to represent the numbers.
    By giving the real and imaginary part of a complex number you can uniquely identify this number.

An analogy in the positive integers: You can write every number by its prime factorization.
    You can write 2*3*5 or "2,3,5" instead of 30. Same thing, just written in a different way, and there is a 1:1 relation between numbers and their prime factorization.

5. Aug 12, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 12, 2017 #5
    True that. I have edited it. But my question is correct and after thinking about it, I have found the answer myself. I just find it hard to put into words the exact thing in my mind. That's why the question is incomprehensible. But I think fresh_42 has understood my question.

Thank you for the answer BvU :)

7. Aug 12, 2017 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted