Can We Mathematically Define Everyday Objects Like Smartphones?

• I
  • Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of mathematically defining a space, using examples such as the 2-sphere and a smartphone. It is noted that a space can have various properties and structures, and the definition of "distance" can vary depending on the context. While it is possible to mathematically define specific properties of a smartphone, it is not possible to define the entire object in one mathematical abstraction. However, approaches such as topological data analysis can be used to study certain aspects of a smartphone. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of defining a space mathematically and the importance of specifying the perspective or structure of interest.
Tio Barnabe
What are the ways of mathematically defining a space?
We usually define a space by stating some common property shared by the points that make up the space in question, that is, a symmetry of that space. For instance, the ordinary 2-sphere is defined as all points ##X## that are at a distance ##c > 0, c \in \mathbb{R}## from some point ##X_0##, the distance being calculated using some specific metric. Does this implicitaly define a coordinate system? It seems that it doesn't, as long as we take the usual definition of a coordinate system as the bijection from a region of the sphere to some other appropriate space through some specific mapping. (This was my first question.)

Now, say we have a real, arbritary object of every-day life; this could be my smartphone. Is there a similar way as above for defining it mathematically? I suppose that if there is, it must be extremely difficult, because the smartphone is a space (or object?) with no patterns... or does it has patterns, but these are so complex that a human brain could not realize them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes WWGD and Leo Authersh
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
What are the ways of mathematically defining a space?
That depends entirely on what properties the space has -- topological space, Hausdorff space, metric space, vector space, inner product space, etc. There are all kinds of spaces.
We usually define a space by stating some common properties shared by the points that make up the space in question, that is, a symmetry of that space. For instance, the ordinary 2-sphere is defined as all points ##X## that are at a distance ##c > 0, c \in \mathbb{R}## from some point ##X_0##, the distance being calculated with the usual metric.
This will work if there is a metric on the space to define "distance". Otherwise, this won't work.
Does this implicitly define a coordinate system? It seems that it doesn't, as long as we take the usual definition of a coordinate system as the bijection from a region of the sphere to some other appropriate space through some specific mapping. (This was my first question.)
If by that you mean a coordinate system that defines a geometry in Euclidean space, then no. You can have distance without any kind of embedding in Euclidean space.
Now, say we have a real, arbitrary object of every-day life; this could be my smartphone. Is there a similar way as above for defining it mathematically? I suppose that if there is, it would be extremely difficult, because the smartphone is a space (or object?) with no patterns... or does it has patterns, but these are so complex that a human brain could not realize them?
In mathematics, a space of any type has a much more formal definition. It is taking a wrong turn to talk about a smartphone as a space. Any type of mathematical space is defined in terms of its mathematical properties specifically so that mathematical statements can be stated about its elements.

FactChecker said:
If by that you mean a coordinate system that defines a geometry in Euclidean space, then no. You can have distance without any kind of embedding in Euclidean space.
Not necessarily Euclidean Space, we can take again the Sphere as an example. Does your answer change in this case?
FactChecker said:
It is taking a wrong turn to talk about a smartphone as a space.
Ok. So we can forget a bit about the formal names. Is it possible to mathematically define the smartphone?

Tio Barnabe said:
Not necessarily Euclidean Space, we can take again the Sphere as an example. Does your answer change in this case?
I think that the mathematical definition of "distance" allows so much flexibility that it does not force a space to have a shape like you are thinking of.
Ok. So we can forget a bit about the formal names. Is it possible to mathematically define the smartphone?
Not as far as I know. You can mathematically define and analyse some specific properties of a smartphone, but not the entire thing in anyone existing mathematical abstraction.

FactChecker said:
Not as far as I know. You can mathematically define and analyse some specific properties of a smartphone, but not the entire thing in anyone existing mathematical abstraction.
What if we partitionate it in several parts, each of them can then be approximated by a known, easy-to-define, mathematical object. After that, we could say it is the union of all the parts.

I agree (Although "union" would not be the right word. "Product space" is better.). That would end up being a very complicated description. Probably too complicated to do anything with it. Math is intended to be useful and to simplify analysis, so something infinitely complicated is not good math.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Usually you can use a Mathematical description if your object has a reasonably clear Mathematical analog, which requires you to specify the type of structure on your phone you are interested in. There are many possible perspectives and types of structure from which we can view and study a phone. Are you interested in any particular perspective or structure? EDIT: Repeating some of what @FactChecker said, The simplest example I can think of is that of the Real number line. We can study it as an ordered field ( Order properties) , as a Metric space, As a group , as a Ring , etc. A slighly less straightforward example would be the use of Topological Data Analysis in which we attach a certain topological space ( usually one in which we can develop a homology theory : CW -Complex, simplicial Complex, etc. ) in a way that the attached space allows for a study of properties of the data set. So ultimately, you need to be more specific on what aspect/structure(s) of the phone you are interested in: is it the way in which the parts are interconnected? Or how phone is connected with other phones through a network, etc.

Good question, BTW

Likes Tio Barnabe
Thanks WWGD

WWGD said:
Are you interested in any particular perspective or structure?
is it the way in which the parts are interconnected? Or how phone is connected with other phones through a network
Let's say I want to tell a person who have never seen a phone how it looks like. Furthermore, this person has a knowledge on computer systems, and once I give him/her a description of the phone using analytic geometry, he/she will use this information in a computer, which will form the image of the phone.

In other words, I'm interested in defining the shape of the phone, in the same way we use analytic geometry to define a sphere1, a cylinder etc.

1 - the locus of all points (x, y, z) such that... .

Tio Barnabe said:
Thanks WWGD
Let's say I want to tell a person who have never seen a phone how it looks like. Furthermore, this person has a knowledge on computer systems, and once I give him/her a description of the phone using analytic geometry, he/she will use this information in a computer, which will form the image of the phone.

In other words, I'm interested in defining the shape of the phone, in the same way we use analytic geometry to define a sphere1, a cylinder etc.

Sorry if I am missing something, but, why not just send them a picture of the phone?

WWGD said:
Sorry if I am missing something, but, why not just send them a picture of the phone?
That was just an example to explain better what I mean

Likes WWGD
Tio Barnabe said:
That was just an example to explain better what I mean
Ah, got it, let me think it through then.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Attn : @mathwonk , I think this is a question about parametrization, which you know. about. EDIT: This is the closest Mathematical analog I can think of Tio Bernabe's question: can the (surface of a ) phone be described Mathematically, is equivalent to whether the surface can be parametrized.

Last edited:
Likes Tio Barnabe
I have a very simple reference about space. I noticed that most bodies in quantum mechanics, microscopic, star, galaxy, and the entire universe is spherical to begin with. Therefore space is spherical in nature. By induction, mathematical coordinates should be spherical regardless the object under study looks flat or not.

Tio Barnabe said:
Is it possible to mathematically define the smartphone?

FactChecker said:
You can mathematically define and analyse some specific properties of a smartphone, but not the entire thing in anyone existing mathematical abstraction.

Tio Barnabe said:
What if we partitionate it in several parts, each of them can then be approximated by a known, easy-to-define, mathematical object
A smartphone is, at heart, a computer, with all of the usual computer components: CPU, memory, input and output devices. These components are not defined mathematically -- they are defined by the circuit and logic diagrams that they are designed from. Below is a block diagram of a generic computer.
cpu-block-diagram.png

Each component in the block diagram can be further described by the discrete logic units that make it up -- transistors, AND gates, OR gates, and so on. Hardware designers typically use software, such as Verilog and others, to design the computer components.

Attachments

• cpu-block-diagram.png
    cpu-block-diagram.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,055
Mark44 said:
A smartphone is, at heart, a computer, with all of the usual computer components: CPU, memory, input and output devices. These components are not defined mathematically -- they are defined by the circuit and logic diagrams that they are designed from. Below is a block diagram of a generic computer.
View attachment 216931
Each component in the block diagram can be further described by the discrete logic units that make it up -- transistors, AND gates, OR gates, and so on. Hardware designers typically use software, such as Verilog and others, to design the computer components.
I think he's referring to the shape of the phone.

WWGD said:
I think he's referring to the shape of the phone.
That's not how I interpret his question.
Tio Barnabe said:
Is it possible to mathematically define the smartphone?
If we're talking about an object that has the shape of a smartphone, then that's a different question, but "mathematically define a smartphone" suggests including the capabilities and features, not just its shape.

Mark44 said:
That's not how I interpret his question.

Tio Barnabe said:
Thanks WWGD

OK, I stand corrected. I was going by what he wrote in post #1, not what he wrote later.

Mark44 said:
OK, I stand corrected. I was going by what he wrote in post #1, not what he wrote later.
Even then, don't you think the system-wise definition of the phone could be formulated Mathematically? Not the individual components, but the way they relate to other components? This is a good question: what can and does Mathematics describe?

WWGD said:
Even then, don't you think the system-wise definition of the phone could be formulated Mathematically?
I don't believe so, unless we talk about functions at the software level, pretty much a universal concept in programming. At any rate, I've never seen anything like a mathematical description of a computer system, including what we're talking about here, smartphones.
WWGD said:
Not the individual components, but the way they relate to other components? This is a good question: what can and does Mathematics describe?
At a lower level than you're asking about is the design of the hardware itself. Here's some Verilog code whose output would be the digital logic to clear, load, or shift the bits in an 8-bit register. The code entity is a module, which is a kind of function. Of the seven parameters, the first six are inputs to the module, and the last is the output. The hardware that implements this logic would consist of a number of gates and a control unit. BTW, the second comment should say, "Retains value if no control signal is asserted."
img035.gif

Attachments

• img035.gif
    img035.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 535
Likes WWGD

1. What is the definition of space?

Space can be defined as the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events have relative position and direction. It is commonly referred to as the area or volume in which things exist and move.

2. How is space created?

Space is created through the interaction of matter and energy. The expansion of the universe after the Big Bang is believed to have created the space we currently inhabit.

3. How do we measure space?

Space can be measured in different ways, depending on the context. In physics, space is often measured in terms of length, volume, and area. In astronomy, space is measured in terms of astronomical units or light-years.

4. What is the difference between physical and conceptual space?

Physical space refers to the actual, tangible area or volume that can be occupied by objects and events. Conceptual space, on the other hand, is an abstract representation of space that is used to understand and describe the physical world.

5. How does the concept of space relate to time?

Space and time are interconnected and are often referred to as the fabric of the universe. Space-time is a mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum, allowing us to understand the relationship between the two.