1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you Differentiate X^X

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    Is there special name for numbers that are to the power of themselves e.g. X^X; 3^3; 4^4
    And how can you Differentiate X^X...Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. It does have some name I don't remember.
    2. In order to differentiate it, rewrite it as [tex]x^{x}=e^{x\ln(x)}[/tex], and use the chain rule.

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    what is it when differentiated? i dont do chain rule yet :(
    if you know no need to work it out if not :)
    and what is D2y/dx^2?
    Thanks...jw :)

5. Jun 17, 2008 #4
    where's the fun in just knowing the result rather than deriving it yourself?

Also, the symbol you mentioned is the second derivative of y with respect to x. I.e. to find it you take the derivative of y, and then take the derivative of that.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    Hello!!!

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] or f'(x) is the first derivative, which can be differentiated into the second derivative; [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex] or f''(x) if you will.
    The third derivative [tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3}[/tex] or f'''(x) is found by differentiating f''(x) i.e., [tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}\right)[/tex] and so on...

These are called the "higher derivatives".

Now in your question you have to find f'(x) by differentiating [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] first, then you have to differentiate the answer again in order to get f''(x).

So, I will give you a hint => we start off by differentiating [tex]x^x[/tex],

[tex]y = x^x[/tex]
    [tex]lny = lnx^x[/tex]
    [tex]lny = xlnx[/tex]
    Differentiate both sides;
    [tex]\frac{1}{y} y' = lnx + x \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
    So you just have 1/y * y' = lnx + 1
    [tex]y' = y(lnx + 1) = x^x (lnx + 1) [/tex]

Now I leave you to differentiate this again in order to obtain [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex].

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?