How to differentiate X^X in order to find the second derivative?

In summary, when finding the derivative of numbers to the power of themselves (e.g. X^X, 3^3, 4^4), it is rewritten as x^{x}=e^{x\ln(x)}, and the chain rule is used to differentiate it. The second derivative is represented as \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2} or f''(x), and so on for higher derivatives. To find the second derivative, the first derivative is differentiated again.
Noj Werdna
Is there special name for numbers that are to the power of themselves e.g. X^X; 3^3; 4^4
And how can you Differentiate X^X...Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1. It does have some name I don't remember.
2. In order to differentiate it, rewrite it as [tex]x^{x}=e^{x\ln(x)}[/tex], and use the chain rule.

what is it when differentiated? i don't do chain rule yet :(
if you know no need to work it out if not :)
and what is D2y/dx^2?
Thanks...jw :)

where's the fun in just knowing the result rather than deriving it yourself?

Also, the symbol you mentioned is the second derivative of y with respect to x. I.e. to find it you take the derivative of y, and then take the derivative of that.

Hello!

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] or f'(x) is the first derivative, which can be differentiated into the second derivative; [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex] or f''(x) if you will.
The third derivative [tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3}[/tex] or f'''(x) is found by differentiating f''(x) i.e., [tex]\frac{d^3 y}{dx^3} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}\right)[/tex] and so on...

These are called the "higher derivatives".

Now in your question you have to find f'(x) by differentiating [tex]f(x) = x^x[/tex] first, then you have to differentiate the answer again in order to get f''(x).

So, I will give you a hint => we start off by differentiating [tex]x^x[/tex],

[tex]y = x^x[/tex]
[tex]lny = lnx^x[/tex]
[tex]lny = xlnx[/tex]
Differentiate both sides;
[tex]\frac{1}{y} y' = lnx + x \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
So you just have 1/y * y' = lnx + 1
[tex]y' = y(lnx + 1) = x^x (lnx + 1) [/tex]

Now I leave you to differentiate this again in order to obtain [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}[/tex].

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

1. How do you differentiate X^X with respect to X?

To differentiate X^X with respect to X, you can use the power rule of differentiation. First, take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, which becomes ln(X^X) = X ln(X). Then, use the product rule to find the derivative of X ln(X), which is (1)(ln(X)) + (X)(1/X) = ln(X) + 1. Finally, multiply the result by the original function to get the final answer: X^X (ln(X) + 1).

2. What is the derivative of X^X?

The derivative of X^X is X^X (ln(X) + 1). This can be derived using the power rule and product rule of differentiation.

3. How is the derivative of X^X related to the graph of the function?

The derivative of X^X is related to the graph of the function by the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the graph. The derivative at a specific point represents the rate of change of the function at that point. So, the derivative of X^X shows how the function is changing at a particular point on the graph.

4. Can the derivative of X^X be simplified further?

The derivative of X^X can be simplified further using algebraic manipulation. For example, X^X (ln(X) + 1) can be rewritten as X^X ln(X) + X^X. However, this is generally considered a simplified form and cannot be reduced any further.

5. How can the derivative of X^X be used in real-world applications?

The derivative of X^X can be used in various real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and biology. In economics, it can be used to find the marginal cost and marginal revenue of a production function. In physics, it can be used to find the velocity and acceleration of a moving object. In biology, it can be used to model growth and decay in populations. Overall, the derivative of X^X is a valuable tool in solving many real-world problems that involve rates of change.