Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you maintain interest in math?

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    Up until yesterday, I had thought mathematics was the foundation of an objective reality that exists outside our mind. I saw mathematics as embodying perfection. But, yesterday I came upon Goedel's incompleteness theorem, and the conclusions that can be derived from it. I feel as if I have lost faith in a god; I am sure my belief in mathematics was psychologically related to a belief in a god. How can you mathematicians and physicists, maintain interest in mathematics with the advent of things such as the Copenhagen interpretation and Goedel's incompleteness theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2
    Drugs. Hard drugs.

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3
    so my life is over already? At the age of 16? There are only drugs to cure my woes?

5. Feb 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at this way:if suddenly people would lose interest in mathematics,many of them would lose their jobs,go broke & die hungry...:wink: :tongue2:

Daniel.

P.S.Message:Phuck Gödel & his theorem!!:mad:

6. Feb 22, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are people who are actually interested in maths? No way!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Maths is a tool, that's all. Learn how to use it, then go and find a proper interest!

(Hmm, having said that, I do know some spanner enthusiasts.)

7. Feb 22, 2005 #6
    Hey, there may be Gödel's theorem, but as long maths can be applied by engineers who build airplanes etc. and it works, then everything's fine.

8. Feb 22, 2005 #7
    Thankfully there are lots of people who disagree with that.

9. Feb 22, 2005 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, math is a form of art.

10. Feb 22, 2005 #9
    Yes. Ssh don't tell anyone - the government drugs our water in order to give us the will to live, in spite of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem. You must have stopped drinking water in the last couple days. Dehydrated?

11. Feb 22, 2005 #10
    Ahahaha :rofl:

12. Feb 22, 2005 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't be both? (a tool and art)

A good slide rule is a lot more than just a handy tool for solving quadratic equations and vector problems. It provides an aesthetic pleasure far beyond just getting the right answer.

A good car is a lot more than just a handy way to get from home to work. Some people see them as works of art, even going to the point of building models of them. On the other hand, some people are just scary - model car Click "Next Photo" for close up of front end. In fact click Previous or Next to see entire collection of model cars (Previous is best - such violence! The airbag was a nice touch, but were the blood stains necessary? And as to the guy who built an entire junk yard of wrecked model cars!??).

Err, uh :uhh: I mean brewnog's right. Quite obsessing over it and look out your window once in a while (real life's much better - btw, do BMW's inspire violence in anyone else, or is it just me? BMW

13. Feb 22, 2005 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

When I was in grad school at U. Wisconsin in the early 60's, you could take your Ph.D. in either the faculty of sciences or the faculty of arts. The difference was in the color of your hood. I "solved" the problem by not getting a Ph.D :yuck: .

14. Feb 22, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, here you can choose to graduate with a BA or a BSc in psychology. The course contents are identical!

15. Feb 22, 2005 #14
    IMO Godel refutes his own theorem. But I have only briefly looked at it, so I may be wrong.

Math is the bridge between art and science. That's GRANDEUR for you.

16. Feb 22, 2005 #15

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm interested in math. Of course I have a lot of lay-around time: easy livin' where you been so long :rofl:

17. Feb 22, 2005 #16
    I am still only a relative beginner in math but it is a discipline whereby the human ability to think can be truly extended. To me, that makes it very interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?