Proving the Rationality or Irrationality of Numbers with Non-Natural Bases

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
In summary, determining whether a real number is rational or irrational depends on its form and representation. If the number can be written as a fraction of integers or has a terminating or repeating decimal expansion, it is rational. If the number has a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal expansion or is a root that cannot be written as a fraction, it is irrational. Natural numbers greater than one are typically used as bases, but it is possible to use rational non-natural bases as well.
eljose
How can you prove in general that given a real number "a" this is rational or irrational?..:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not always easy.

Obviously numbers like 1 or [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] are rational

Similiarly, it's pretty easy to see that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}{\intfty}\frac{1}{10^{n^2}}[/tex]
is irrational.

For algebraic numbers, like [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] the usual method is to assume that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is rational, so it can be expressed as a fraction [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] and then show that [itex]2b^2=a^2[/itex] cannot be solved in the integers.

Well, if I'm given a number - that is, any real number in its standard form (not a series or infinitely continued fraction, etc.) then it should be pretty easy.

If the number is a fraction, or can be rewritten as a fraction (of integers) then it is rational. If its decimal expansion terminates or repeats a pattern of digits, then it is rational. There is no need to prove this, it simply meets the definition of a rational number.

If, however, the decimal expansion does not terminate nor repeat (such as for pi or e) the number is irrational. If the number is a root, then it is irrational anytime it is not a perfect root. So, the square root of 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, etc. are all irrational as are the cube roots of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 etc.

BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
Well, if I'm given a number - that is, any real number in its standard form (not a series or infinitely continued fraction, etc.) then it should be pretty easy.

What is the "standard form" for a real number?

Consider, for example [itex]e^e[/itex]. It's relatively straightforward to calcuate the first few thousand digits, but determining whether it's irrational isn't exactly easy.

NateTG said:
What is the "standard form" for a real number?

I was thinking of numbers written in decimal or fraction form, using only the 10 digits and no symbols (such as pi or e). I realize that it was an elementary way of looking at things, and perhaps I didn't add much to the discussion. You're certainly right about e^e.

BSMSMSTMSPHD said:
I was thinking of numbers written in decimal or fraction form, using only the 10 digits and no symbols (such as pi or e). I realize that it was an elementary way of looking at things, and perhaps I didn't add much to the discussion. You're certainly right about e^e.

Any number that has either a terminating or a nonterminating periodic representation (in any base, including 10 of course) is rational. Irrational numbers are aperiodic in any base.

If you can only "check" a finite number of decimals of a given number, then you can't decide whether it is rational or not.

Curious3141 said:
Any number that has either a terminating or a nonterminating periodic representation (in any base, including 10 of course) is rational. Irrational numbers are aperiodic in any base.

What about base pi?

Office_Shredder said:
What about base pi?

Generally, only natural numbers greater than one are used as bases.

Curious3141 said:
Generally, only natural numbers greater than one are used as bases.
True; though, I have made a simple system for rational non-natural bases (greater than one of course!) that comply with the rules (coefficient selection included) for natural bases.
Though, I do not think this is the standard way of dealing with non-natural rational bases:

Given a positive rational base expressed as p/q (where p & q are naturals and p>q), I can express any rational number r/q (where r is natural) using powers of p/q with all coefficients being elements of {0,1/q, 2/q, ... , (p-1)/q}.

Canceling the q's in the denominator of 'r' and each coefficient, this can be reduced to stating:
[tex]\forall p,q,r \in \mathbb{N}\;{\text{where }}p > q,\;\exists \left( {x_0 , x_1 , \ldots ,x_n } \right) \in \left\{ {0,1, \ldots ,p - 1} \right\}^{n + 1} : r = \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {x_k \left( {\frac{p}{q}} \right)^k }[/tex]
~For example,

1) (Base 7/4) p=7, q=4, r=39. Thus, (x0, x1, ... , xn) is (4,6,1,4), as
[tex]4 + 6\left( {\frac{7}{4}} \right) + 1\left( {\frac{7}{4}} \right)^2 + 4\left( {\frac{7}{4}} \right)^3 = 39 [/tex]

2) (Base 13/10) p=13, q=10, r=29. Thus, (x0, x1, ... , xn) is (3,7,10), as
[tex]3 + 7\left( {\frac{{13}}{{10}}} \right) + 10\left( {\frac{{13}}
{{10}}} \right)^2 = 29 [/tex]

3) (Base 17/11) p=17, q=11, r=94. Thus, the (x0, x1, ... , xn) is (9,4,16,11), as
[tex]9 + 4\left( {\frac{{17}}{{11}}} \right) + 16\left( {\frac{{17}}{{11}}} \right)^2 + 11\left( {\frac{{17}}{{11}}} \right)^3 = 94 [/tex]

~For the special (also trivial) case q=1, (x0, x1, ... , xn) is just the base 'p' representation of 'r' //

Last edited:

1. How can you prove a scientific theory?

Proving a scientific theory involves conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results to support the hypothesis. This process is known as the scientific method and it involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence. The more evidence and data that supports the hypothesis, the stronger the theory becomes.

2. How can you prove the existence of something?

In science, the existence of something is proven through empirical evidence. This means that there needs to be observable and measurable data that supports the existence of the thing in question. Scientists use various methods such as experiments, observations, and mathematical models to gather this evidence and support their claims.

3. How can you prove a cause and effect relationship?

Proving a cause and effect relationship involves identifying an independent variable (the cause) and a dependent variable (the effect) and then manipulating the independent variable to see how it affects the dependent variable. By controlling other variables and repeating the experiment, scientists can determine if there is a cause and effect relationship between the two variables.

4. How can you prove something is true?

In science, nothing can be proven with 100% certainty. Instead, scientists use the weight of evidence to support their claims and theories. This involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and replicating results to strengthen the evidence and increase confidence in the truthfulness of the claim.

5. How can you prove something is reliable?

To prove something is reliable, it needs to be tested multiple times under different conditions and produce consistent results. This is known as reliability testing and it is an essential part of the scientific process. If an experiment can be replicated and produces similar results each time, it is considered reliable and can be used to support scientific claims.