How can you tell the difference between iron (II) chloride and iron (II) sulfate?

Hi

I need help with my chemistry homework. I'm stuck on the following questions

1. Very dilute solutions of iron(II) chlodie and iron (II) sulfate have similar colours. Explain how you can distinguish solutions of these compounds. Give full details of the tests you can carry out as well as the experted results.

I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)

2. Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.

The effect is the same...but why though????

Please help me answer these questions a.s.a.p because the hw is due tomorrow!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likes yyy

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)
How do you test for chlorides? How do you test for sulfates?

Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.
What happens when you add ammonia or hydroxide?