Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How carpets can remove dusts?

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I have seen some instrumentation analytical laboratories (not cleanroom standard) carpeting the floor and they explain that can reduce the dust. So why is that?

Thanks you and I hope this threat is posted the right place.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2
    My only guess would be that the carpet has a charge and attracts the dust.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    ever vacuum a carpet?

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    Of course, we have do it periodically.
    to Chrrixxx: I think you are right.
    Still, how about dusts coming from the carpet itself? They expel?

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    Dust collects where the air is stillest. The more energetic the air, the higher the dust goes, and the heaver the dust that will be lifted. Low to the carpet and between the fibres the air is fairly dead, encouraging dust to settle, and to drift deeper.

7. Mar 16, 2009 #6
    So a good way for one to remove dust from carpet would be to force air below it somehow... maybe install irrigation piping underneath and then connect the vacuum cleaner in reverse to expel the dust.

8. Mar 19, 2009 #7

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Or just get a dust control mat. Basically big sheets of tape that you walk over to clean off your booties of the debris / dirt that you don't want to track into your nice, clean(ish) controlled environment.

9. Jul 28, 2010 #8
    It does not include on your experiment? Well, you better clean it with steam cleaner. Then regularly, you must clean your carpet with vacuum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook