How cathode is positively charged in voltaic cell?

In summary: Same question: which convention?We have been told that at anode oxidation takes place and at cathode reduction takes place.I don't know whether it is European and American convention.Please tell me why cathode is at high potential in galvanic cell?At anode oxidation takes place and at cathode reduction takes place. I don't know which convention that is, but it's an American convention. Cathode is at high potential in galvanic cell because electrons at/on the cathode have a higher potential energy than exists for oxidized species approaching the cathode, or at the anode once they've been transported through the cell.
Chemistry news on Phys.org
DrDu said:
Anyhow, that the current in a wire is carried by electrons does not mean that cations can't move (and can be the main charge carriers) in other media.
I got your point.

DrDu said:
In solution, protons have the highest mobility of all charge carriers.
Is current due to positive charges only possible in solutions?If not,what are the other examples of current because of positive charges?

gracy said:
what are the other examples of current because of positive charges?

Electron holes in semiconductors.

Likes gracy
I have one more doubt .Sometimes it is said that cations of inert electrolytes of salt bridge go to cathode half cell and anions of inert electrolyte travel into anode half cell to balance the charge imbalance produced in them.Is it right?

Sodium doped alumina. Glas, e.g. in ph electrodes.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
I have one more doubt .Sometimes it is said that cations of inert electrolytes of salt bridge go to cathode half cell and anions of inert electrolyte travel into anode half cell to balance the charge imbalance produced in them.Is it right?
Depends on whether you are talking about electrolysis or a galvanic cell.

gracy said:
Sometimes it is said that cations of inert electrolytes of salt bridge go to cathode half cell and anions of inert electrolyte travel into anode half cell to balance the charge imbalance produced in them.Is it right?
This condition is seen in electrolytic cell,right?But why electrolytic cell needs salt bridge?

Last edited:
Yes, this is right both for electrolytic and Galvanic cells. You are right that not all electrolytic cells need a salt bridge or thelike. The copper rafination I mentioned earlier is a counter example. On the other hand, if you take two half cells, e.g. Cu/Cu2+ and Zn/Zn2+ with a salt bridge, you can operate it both as a Galvanic and an electrolytic cell. With the now generally accepted convention of anode and cathode, cations will allways wander to the cathode, anions to the anode.

I want to know which of these is correct
Cations and anions from oxidation and reduction half cell respectively move through the salt bridge into reduction an oxidation half cell and inert electrolyte present in salt bridge is just to provide conducting medium
OR
The inert electrolyte present in salt bridge dissociates into cations and anions and travel into the reduction and oxidation half cell respectively.For eg.KNO3 will dissociate int K+ and NO3- ions ,K+will go in reduction half cell to balance excessive negative charge and NO3- would go in oxidation half cell to balance excessive positive charge .

The second option is correct, although ions from the half cells will also enter into the salt bridge.

DrDu said:
ions from the half cells will also enter into the salt bridge.
Both of the processes will occur simultaneously ,the one i have mentioned in first option is to complete the circuit, and the second one to maintain neutrality ,right?

The last doubt about salt bridge is
In my textbook it is written that salt bridge prevents the mechanical mixing of the solution.what it means?

gracy said:
textbook it is written that salt bridge prevents the mechanical mixing of the solution
Very little, really. All a salt bridge accomplishes is that it slows the mixing of different solutions in two half cells.

Couple general remarks: electrochemical/electrolytic cells are used for batteries, either disposable or rechargeable, as sources of electric power; for electrolytic refining/production of metals or other chemicals (Cu, Al, Cl, Na, others); or, they are used for laboratory measurements of free energy, and analytical applications. I'm not aware that any textbook explicitly states that there are these three general areas of applications.

Salt bridges are used in laboratory applications, that is for cells that do no electrical work, nor have any electrical work done on them. One might be interested in comparing the concentrations of two different solutions of ferrous sulfate, for example, and it is necessary to prevent the solutions from mixing over the time frame of the measurement. Mixing is prevented by use of the salt bridge which allows for ionic current from a solution in one half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at one concentration to the second half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at a different concentration without the two solutions mixing or diffusing into one another and reducing the potential difference between the two half cells to zero before the measurement can be accomplished. Check the index in the textbook for "concentration cells."

Likes gracy and DrDu
Is my 48th post,correct?

Bystander said:
Salt bridges are used in laboratory applications, that is for cells that do no electrical work, nor have any electrical work done on them. One might be interested in comparing the concentrations of two different solutions of ferrous sulfate, for example, and it is necessary to prevent the solutions from mixing over the time frame of the measurement. Mixing is prevented by use of the salt bridge which allows for ionic current from a solution in one half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at one concentration to the second half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at a different concentration without the two solutions mixing or diffusing into one another and reducing the potential difference between the two half cells to zero before the measurement can be accomplished. Check the index in the textbook for "concentration cells."
But according to the video I have seen on concentration cell ,electrons are transferred not the ions.This is the video i am talking about

Bystander said:
Mixing is prevented by use of the salt bridge which allows for ionic current from a solution in one half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at one concentration to the second half cell (Fe/Fe+2) at a different concentration without the two solutions mixing or diffusing into one another
What is mixing of solutions then?I thought that if ions of one half cell travel to second half cell ,it is said that solutions are mixed.

gracy said:
,electrons are transferred not the ions.
This is in the external circuit. The part of the circuit where chemistry is happening carries current in one, or both, directions by ion transport.
gracy said:
Both of the processes will occur simultaneously ,the one i have mentioned in first option is to complete the circuit, and the second one to maintain neutrality ,right?
Yes.
gracy said:
I thought that if ions of one half cell travel to second half cell ,it is said that solutions are mixed.
Any transfer of solute, ions, solvent, from one half cell to the other is "mixing." The idea behind the salt bridge is that the ion transfer is insignificant over the course of a measurement due to difficulty of diffusion through the salt bridge, or that the actual ion transport carrying the current involves the ions of the salt bridge, and that the salt be chosen to minimally interfere with the chemistry being measured/studied.

Bystander said:
The idea behind the salt bridge is that the ion transfer is insignificant over the course of a measurement due to difficulty of diffusion through the salt bridge,
Only sufficient enough to complete the circuit?

gracy said:
sufficient enough to complete the circuit?
Yes.

Bystander said:
that the actual ion transport carrying the current involves the ions of the salt bridge,
Ions of salt bridge also produce current?I thought they are only to maintain neutrality .

gracy said:
Ions of salt bridge also produce carry current?
For every cation reduced at the cathode, to maintain neutrality, cation(s) must move through the salt bridge (carrying charge/current).

Bystander said:
For every cation reduced at the cathode, to maintain neutrality, cation(s) must move through the salt bridge (carrying charge/current).
But at the same time For every anion oxidized at the anode, to maintain neutrality, anions must move through the salt bridge (carrying charge/current)Won't it cancel the current produced by cations of salt bridge?

gracy said:
Won't it cancel the current produced by cations of salt bridge?
The two contributions are NOT necessarily equal. If you look at current through a Cu/Cu+2//Cu+2/Cu cell for refining/producing electrolytic copper, almost all the current carried through the cell is by Cu+2 ions. There is very little transport by SO4-2 ions which more or less maintain the electrical neutrality by playing "hot potato" or passing Cu+2 ions from one to another.

Likes gracy
Drakkith said:
I'm sorry but this is just wrong.
They don't. Electrons have a negative charge, protons have a positive charge, and neutrons are electrically neutral. You're replying to a bad answer.
The electrons that flow into the cathode are used in the chemical reaction between the cathode and the electrolyte. They are indeed 'lost' from the cathode in this reaction.

What I actually meant was that the electrons that reach at the electrode get consumed and the negative charge doesn't linger on . In totality , everything is neutral . The electrolytic cell in whole is neutral . The cathode is not charged but as you said , the action of loss of electron makes us call it positive electrode .

proton007007 said:
The cathode is not charged

It is. If it wasn't charged there would be no potential difference between cathode and anode.

Charge is typically pretty small, but it definitely is there.