Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How cats control our lives

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right now, my office cat, bun, is sitting on my lap and holding my hand hostage. I need coffee. I need to hit the head. I am poking out this message with one finger and my leg has fallen asleep, but I can't disturb my Bun.

This is the true measure of a cat lover - the extent to which one is willing to suffer so as not to disturb the kitty.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've been in exactly the same situation with our cat Misty. The other cat, Chester, is not a lap cat. He just likes to start waking me up a 0500 because he's hungry.

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Geez, i think you should be the one wearing the collar!

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4

Mk

I'm willing to suffer as to not disturb my girlfriend, but a kitten? I'll move my hand when I want to move it. Damn cat gets to sleep and eat and play all day while I have to go to work.

6. Dec 15, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Lucy jumps into my lap so often that I sometimes don't even notice. I'll just look down and go 'where the hell did that come from?' It's gotten so that I keep a thermal bag with a few beers in it beside the couch so I don't have to disturb her to get a fresh one.

This isn't a hijack, but I did want to mention something and it will save me starting a new thread to do it here.
    It's been driving me absolutely nuts trying to figure out what to get my mother for Xmas. She's 95 and can't get out of bed (although the staff at the nursing home can put her into a wheelchair). It's a semi-private room, so there's very little space for anything. She already has about half a dozen stuffed animals with her, and a dozen more at the house that we could take to her, so that's out. I'd resorted to flowers for a while, but then got her some very realistic artificial ones that she still has.
    Anyhow, W dragged me into the city last week to shop for the grandbrats, and we ended up spending a torturous hour in Toys 'r' Us. Just when I was starting to wish that someone would rob the store and shoot me, I ran across the perfect gift.
    When I moved in with W a couple of years ago, I gave Lucy to my mother to keep her company, and she really misses her now. Obviously, she can't have a cat of her own in her present situation.
    So what before my wondering eyes did appear but an incredibly life-like robot cat! The brand name is Fur Real, and it looks very much like Lucy except for the eye colour. There are touch sensors, a light detector, and a tail-pull sensor. For battery life, it crouches down and goes to sleep if left unstimulated for 3 minutes. In between sleeps, it purrs, meows, changes posture, and moves its tail, all in response to different stimulae. There's a video on the net for anyone who wants to check it out. (There are a few different robot cats on there; this is the pure white one with the aforementioned brand name.)

Okay, you may now return to your regular programme.

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reminds me of the story of Muezza:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muezza

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7
    Sounds like quite a few of the PF members are infected with toxoplasmosis.

I'm sitting in silence right now typing quietly so as not to wake my cat who's getting his regulation 14 hour beauty sleep.

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I guess I'm not so nice to my cat. If she tries to hold my hand hostage, she gets her belly tickled! She used to get away with it when she was still a kitten and would just sit purring on my lap, but now that she's all grown up, she knows how to sleep all day without me, so I don't feel bad about disturbing her if she's curled up on me (she'll just move over and go back to sleep if she's really sleepy, otherwise, she'll get up and play when I get up).

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, I should have been a Muslim!

I'm a complete sucker for my cats. If I don't let Bun do exactly what she want's then she gets mad at me, and I just can't take that. :biggrin: She is soooo funny that way - stubborn as a mule and no end of cattitude. Many times when I try to move her,she will dig in her claws, glare at me, and refuse to budge. :rofl:

Einstein usually has Tsu trapped in her chair.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  11. Dec 15, 2007 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was at dinner at a friends yesterday, and a cat is clawing at the window so I open it.
    Later I asked what her cat's name was - "I don't have a cat", we go and find a stray cat asleep on her bed and she blames me!!!!

12. Dec 15, 2007 #11
    i know what you mean

13. Dec 15, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

When I was young and dumb, I didn't know that avoiding a cat's gaze was tantamount to inviting them to get closer. I lived in an apartment across the street from a couple of married friends who had 6 cats and one of them was a deaf long-haired white cat with very blue eyes - Midnight. I liked my friends and didn't much care for cats, so I visited regularly and tried to ignore the cats. Midnight was pretty confined to visual cues, and she became so attached to me that every time I visited them, she had to be on my lap and in my face, rubbing her head under my chin and on my chest. Every evening I went home with white cat hairs all over my clothes.

14. Dec 15, 2007 #13

Danger

Gold Member

It's a well-known fact that a cat will gravitate to the most committed cat-hater in the room and pester the bejabers out of him.
    Lucy is pretty much useless, but she does have one career to which she is very dedicated: to seek out any item of our clothing that isn't covered in cat hair and rectify the situation. Out of the 10 hours a day that she's awake, she spends about 8 on that project.

15. Dec 15, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Ember is the same way! When I'm folding laundry, she instantly gravitates toward anything black and HAS to sit on it before I put it away. This is why I ask for things like lint brushes for Christmas. :rolleyes:

16. Dec 16, 2007 #15

Danger

Gold Member

And what really amazes me (and leads me to think of a conspiracy) is that a cat will only deposit upon an article of contrasing colour. I tend to wear black or dark blue clothing, and Lucifur is pure white, so she can't rest. She won't go near my white T-shirts, though. Conversely, Dingbat was black and grey, and would only assault my light coloured stuff. If I weren't an atheist, I'd suspect that they were all hell-spawn.

17. Dec 16, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

It's not that I hated them - I just didn't give a damn for them, whereas I would have paid attention to dogs, for instance. When I would show up at my neighbors' place, Midnight would "claim" me as soon as I got there, and hop on my lap and start with the head-rubbing as soon as I sat down. If I scratched her ears and neck a little, she would stretch, knead my thighs a bit (no claws) and settle in for a nice comfortable nap. My neighbors thought it was a hoot. She was their most stand-offish (to them) cat - the snooty princess.

18. Dec 16, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They also have an uncanny ability to do exactly what you don't want them to do. If there is one place in my office that I don't want Bun to lie, I can be sure to find her there.

On the up side, they don't have destructotails like dogs. :biggrin:

19. Dec 16, 2007 #18
    You must not spoil them so!!! Where are your exercise studios for these cats?! And when was the last time you sent them to the military, huh??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?