Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How china censors the internet

1. Mar 26, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2006 #2
    I wonder if that slideshow is censored.

4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    Another example of how corporation lacks of any kind of ethics, just like ibm helped hitler now google cisco and others helping the china goverment to censor the internet.

5. Mar 26, 2006 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Guilt by association? Germany invaded Belgium, Iraq invaded Kuwait. Does that mean all governments lack any kind of ethics?

6. Mar 26, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

By the way, I know this is a world affair, but since it's just information without any kind of position presented and no clear direction to the discussion, I moved it to GD.

7. Mar 26, 2006 #6
    No, Just a very small group of very big corporations.

8. Mar 26, 2006 #7
    I allways think those chinese buildings are of cool. There is a particular kind of "attitude".

9. Mar 26, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's better then nothing. The people now have the internet where they normally would have nothing. It's also wrong to bring up ibm's association with hitler. The fallacy has been discussed before to a decent length as to why ibm can't be faulted for not having tme machines and knowing hitler would start a war years later.

10. Mar 26, 2006 #9
    Yes and now the chinese goverment can imprison those who type " Freedom" "Justice" and "Human Rights" in google! great!

You should read IBM and the holocaust
    http://www.ibmandtheholocaust.com/

11. Mar 26, 2006 #10
    :rolleyes: Takes time, it's a lot better now than it used to be. The Chinese didn't know that Americans landed on the moon for a LONG time.

12. Mar 27, 2006 #11
    This is terrible: Here's a short list of keywords that will trigger the filtering system and block access to content:

# Revolution
    # Equality
    # Freedom
    # Justice
    # Taiwan
    # Tibet
    # Falun Gong
    # Dissident
    # Democracy
    # STD
    # Human rights

and probably even this page now because it contains them. No wonder people from China are moving in even coming to my country. At least I can write whatever I want in google, wheter it is "Human rights", "physics+forums", "chuck norris facts" :biggrin: or "playboy video extreme torrent".

13. Mar 27, 2006 #12
    That should get you life imprisonment in any country.

14. Mar 27, 2006 #13

In just world it would get the death penalty.

*Chuck Norris, never sleeps, he waits*

If I hear one more chuck norris joke, someone will die.

15. Mar 27, 2006 #14
    And how is this different? This guy is making money from it as well... hypocracy?

16. Mar 27, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Might want to find a more reputable site. Some of those links belong in locked S&D threads :rofl: :rofl:

17. Mar 27, 2006 #16
    It's not a site, it's a book. and i see you have no idea of it, and you have never read it.. i did. and beliveme, the book is based on the memos from IBM germany and The nazi party, on letters from ibm Germany to IBM New York ..etc. it's very well documented. So if you want to disput the validity of the book, it would be another big thread.

And it is a very reputable book as you can see here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pr...0/002-5386086-3514448?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155

And here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...86086-3514448?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  18. Mar 27, 2006 #17
    No, this guy is not helping hitler to exterminate jews, he is just telling the story.

( More when his parents are Holocaust survivors)

19. Mar 27, 2006 #18

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Chinese censhorshop of the internet had been going on for a while now, but recently, it has been getting a whole lot of attention since big companies (google, Microsoft, Yahoo, ...) are getting behind it.
    I have been reading news stories for a few years about how China censors its internet searches, in particular, searches with those "key words" descibed in the slide show.

Last July, I went to China (Beijing, Xian, Shanghai), and a brought a laptop. Since we stayed in a nice hotel that catered to international (American and other countries) travelers, it had an ethernet connection in the room. Since I was feeling a bit daring, I decided I would test out their censorship system and posted a message on another forum and sent a few emails. I used key words like "democracy", "freedom", "protest".
    As you can see, I am still alive and well, no Chinese storm troopers broke down my door and arrested me. All the while, right by the ethernet plug i nthe room, there was a sign which said something to the effect of, "Please respect the wishes of the People's Republic of Chine while browsing the internet", with a picture of Chairman Mao next to it.
    Then again, you would expect that they wouldnt be leaning too hard on American tourists. On the other hand, I walked by an "internet cafe" in Xian, in a rather poor part of town. Looking into the dark room with computer screens in it, you just know that is where all the restrictions are.

I saw a news story more recently, back when google decided to join forces with China, in which this site,
    http://www.baidu.com/index.html
    was advertized as the chinese version of google (as opposed to http://www.google.cn/). If you search for common words like "cat" or "dog", everthing works fine, even if you search for their equivilents in chinese characters ("猫", "狗"). But when you search for "民主", you always get a "page cannot be displayed" error. Is it a coincidency that whenever I try to seach for "democracy" in chinese, it never works for me? I think not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?