Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How come sometimes I see and some times I don't see

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

the "watched tags" in the drop down box for FORUMS. I am not WATCHING any tags so don't need this and find it a minor annoyance (yes, I'm easily annoyed, grump, grump) that it seems to just show up or not at random

PF without watched tags.JPG PF with watched tags.JPG

EDIT: I also find it annoying that we can't edit subject lines, dag nabbit ! (Espacially sinse I cant smell)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yeah I've been seeing that too.

It must be a figment of our collective imaginations or because the watch tags are related to the current session threads that were commented on.

Hmm, I just checked it and I wasn't tracking any tags very strange.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I said, I'm not tracking any tags either.

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

Evo

Who would track tags? (I guess I will find out)

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I can see how some folks might want track tags, having come from other forums where people actually USE tags. I don't think folks here add them (I certainly don't). If everyone DID add them (and I am NOT suggesting it) then you could, for example, track the tags "HUP" and "Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle" and see any relevant posts to that area of interest. It's a nice feature but more work, I think, than is worthwhile.

EDIT: hm ... I just looked and I don't even see any way to add them here if you wanted to. If we don't even HAVE them, why do we have the option to track them? o_O

EDIT EDIT: Ah ... maybe the ability to add them comes and goes with the ability to track them

da da DA da, da da DA da ... you are now entering ...

7. Dec 24, 2014 #6

Evo

As a mentor, I can add tags, it's part of editing, but my abilities and members are very different. I believe that you can add them when you create a thread because I've seen some absolute garbage as tags, things like "new" "problem" "fact" "unknown", basically, people do not know how to use tags.

Previously Greg had set the software to pick about 5 random words from the first couple of sentences as tags and they made absolutely no sense. I don't know if that is what is still causing the bizarre tags or if it's members only now. (Sorry Greg, I mentioned it to you). :(

8. Dec 24, 2014 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You as the creator of the post have the option to add tags when you create the thread.

9. Dec 24, 2014 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah ha ... I was trying to add them in EDIT mode ... guess you can't do that?

10. Dec 24, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

BAN ALL TAGS !!! (grump, grump)

11. Dec 24, 2014 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And be picked up by animal control as a stray post?

12. Dec 24, 2014 #11
    If you are interested in string theory you'll be alerted to any thread that has been tagged with "string theory". It's quite handy.

13. Dec 24, 2014 #12

Evo

I personally love the ability to tag. I died when I found out that all of the threads I had tagged were lost when we switched to the new software. The problem is the meaningless tags that a lot of people use. They do no one any good. Where a two word tag would have meant something, they instead make two tags, one of each word and it's nonsense. Like "uncertainty principle", they make two tags "uncertainty" and "principle". :olduhh:

14. Dec 24, 2014 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's what I said in post #5. Pay attention, dammit. Grump, grump. :smile:

15. Dec 24, 2014 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

AAAIIIEEEE ! I completely forgot about my name tag and rabies tag. Arf!

16. Dec 26, 2014 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see we still don't have any mentioned resolution to this issue, although I haven't noticed the "watched tags" in a while. Did you get rid of it?

17. Dec 26, 2014 #16
    It's a gold member perk :)

18. Dec 26, 2014 #17

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I see this too. As I told Evo and DaleSpam, I sometimes become gold and then go back to normal. When I'm gold, I can see that "watched tags" too. I guess phinds is the same as me in this issue.

19. Dec 26, 2014 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Damned tree frog !

But seriously, I haven't seen it in a while. Could be just coincidence but I was wondering if you did something or are going to just ignore this coming and going

20. Dec 26, 2014 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah ha. Another clue or another mystery? I hadn't noticed til you mentioned it, but didn't we used to have some sort of indicator that Gold members ARE gold members (in addition to the fact that we have avatars) ? I just realized that sometimes I don't see any. Right now I DO see it and I DO see the the "watched tags" so I'm with Shyan on this. Good catch.

So tree frog, let me restate my question ... how come Gold Membership comes and goes? I don't' see my my money coming and going ... it just stays there with you :smile:

21. Dec 26, 2014 #20

ShayanJ

Gold Member

So you're actually a gold phinds? Interesting. I'm not!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook