Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How come there is oxygen

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    in the middle of the sea where there are no trees around?.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2
    It is the dissolved oxygen.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of the world's oxygen (70%) is produced by plants (or green stuff depening on how fussy you want to be about the definition of plants) living on the oceans.
    It does also blow around quite a lot in the atmosphere.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in the middle of the sky where there are no fish around? :confused:

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Beause penguins eat them all
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmpihCjqw

7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

The oceans are teeming with plant-life that can produce oxygen. Oxygen in the air is also entrained into sea-water by wave action.

8. Jan 29, 2009 #7
    I see.... would it be fair to say that there would be more oxygen available where there are trees around?. Or is it fairly distributed?.

Yes i know my questions are weird.... lol...

9. Jan 29, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Trees aren't all that important compared to algae etc they are big and grow slowly so their metabolism is pretty low compared to pond scum.
    Depends on the age of the tree and the species of course - the same thing applies to the idea of planting trees to remove CO2.

10. Jan 29, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think the OP is asking about oxygen in the atmosphere, not dissolved in the ocean. Oxygen exists everywhere on earth in similar concentrations because wind spreads it around.

11. Feb 18, 2009 #10
    I thought the atmosphere is just the atmosphere, any local fluctuations would be just that; local, and due to some insignificant factor, (cows, volcanoes, trees).

12. Feb 18, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, but the OP is assuming that oxygen comes from trees.
    The question should really be - why is there oxygen on land if there is no algae around!

13. Feb 18, 2009 #12
    Does most oxygen come from algae then?

14. Feb 18, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most of it comes from stuff growing on the surface of the ocean (not all technically algae)
    There is quite a lot of ocean surface area and not a lot of it is desert or covered in concrete so it's a good place to be a plant.

15. Feb 18, 2009 #14
    If only I were a plant.

16. Feb 19, 2009 #15
    Oxygen is an element - it's neither created nor destroyed by plants or anything else. It's just there. The better question is - before evolution of photosynthesis, in what chemical form did much of the oxygen exist?

btw - ever looked at the formula for water? You know - the stuff that covers alot of the planet?

17. Feb 19, 2009 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The majority of the Oxygen on Earth is in the form of sand.

Before evolution of photosynthesis the atmosphere was mostly carbon dioxide - before plant made global cooling polluted this with toxic chemicals (like molecular oxygen).
    Plants continue doing this today, taking our vital CO2 and creating more toxic O2. We are trying to return the atmopshere to it's natural state by burning them, but it's a big job and is taking longer than expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?