How comfortable are you with talking about sex?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, the people here are quite open about discussing sex. They are comfortable doing so and believe it is a good subject to discuss.
Smurf said:
I'll talk to anyone about anything... unless that anyone is my parents, then the topics become strictly limited.

I talk to my mum and dad about sex any time they ask me. They're kind of uncomfortable with it, but its not a taboo subject to me at all. Its important they have an idea what I'm doing anyways. If there were only two people i ought to about sex with its me mum and the boy I'm doing the deed with.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can discuss it with my friends easily.But not with my parents or relatives.

Gale17 said:
I talk to my mum and dad about sex any time they ask me. They're kind of uncomfortable with it, but its not a taboo subject to me at all. Its important they have an idea what I'm doing anyways. If there were only two people i ought to about sex with its me mum and the boy I'm doing the deed with.
My parents were the overbearing type and I still don't tell them much I don't have to.

russ_watters said:
My parents were the overbearing type and I still don't tell them much I don't have to.

Funny how that goes with parents. I don't discuss sex with my parents, even in general, biological, purely scientific, impersonal terms, because, frankly, it makes them uncomfortable, especially my mom (my step-dad isn't so uptight, but since mom always hovers around conversations, it's still better to just keep quiet around her). I know she knows what goes on and she didn't mind talking so much when my sister was in college and mom didn't approve of her boyfriend visiting her at the dorms, but it was entirely spoken of in a disapproving tone. What can I say, my mom even gets antsy if I'm talking about breeding cattle or horses.

But, I guess I treat it like any other topic. If it makes someone else uncomfortable to talk about it, I don't discuss it with them, unless they are one of my students, and need to learn the biology of it.

Moonbear said:
...I know she knows what goes on and she didn't mind talking so much when my sister was in college and mom didn't approve of her boyfriend visiting her at the dorms, but it was entirely spoken of in a disapproving tone. What can I say, my mom even gets antsy if I'm talking about breeding cattle or horses.

But, I guess I treat it like any other topic. If it makes someone else uncomfortable to talk about it, I don't discuss it with them, unless they are one of my students, and need to learn the biology of it.

haha, my mum was really uncomfortable with it at first. She tried to give me the "protection" talk, and i went into ask all sorts of questions, and described my own experiences, and then when we were done, i just hopped up and said thanks mum and walked away. Later she and my sister were talking, and she was like "i should've just done the thing with the flowers..."

she also was really uncomfortable when i first got a boyfriend. I guess I'm a little bit of a trouble maker, and i was just always pushing the limits. eventually we could shut the door... then he could stay the night as long as it was a different floor. Then he could stay on the same floor, different rooms, then same room different beds... then don't ask, don't tell...

Moonbear said:
Funny how that goes with parents. I don't discuss sex with my parents, even in general, biological, purely scientific, impersonal terms, because, frankly, it makes them uncomfortable, especially my mom (my step-dad isn't so uptight, but since mom always hovers around conversations, it's still better to just keep quiet around her). I know she knows what goes on and she didn't mind talking so much when my sister was in college and mom didn't approve of her boyfriend visiting her at the dorms, but it was entirely spoken of in a disapproving tone. What can I say, my mom even gets antsy if I'm talking about breeding cattle or horses.

The real mystery is...

...where did Moonbear come from? :confused:

JasonRox said:
The real mystery is...

...where did Moonbear come from? :confused:

The stork brought me...or was it that I was found in a cabbage patch...no wait, aliens left an egg on the doorstep. Yeah, I think that sounds most likely. :rofl:

Obviously my mom knows what sex is about, even once admitted it can be fun, but then quickly changed the subject again. Once all the obligatory birth control, abstinence, relationship talks were done with, there was no more discussion.

Moonbear said:
The stork brought me...or was it that I was found in a cabbage patch...no wait, aliens left an egg on the doorstep. Yeah, I think that sounds most likely. :rofl:

Obviously my mom knows what sex is about, even once admitted it can be fun, but then quickly changed the subject again. Once all the obligatory birth control, abstinence, relationship talks were done with, there was no more discussion.

I'd rather have a mom that is not comfortable with it. My mom is pretty open, which is disgusting and creepy.

Note: Big ERROR.

Last edited:
JasonRox said:
I'd rather have a mom that isn't uncomtable with it. My mom is pretty open, which is disgusting and creepy.
Sex is not a topic that I can discuss with my mom. It would be like discussing sex with Mother Teresa. Here's my sex talk with my mom - "Men won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free". I'm serious, that was it, and she was embarrassed to say that. But my mother was raised in a Convent. Her parents got divorced when she was very young and neither wanted to be tied down, so she was placed there.

When I got pregnant with my first child, I had my sister tell her, and I was married!

misogynisticfeminist said:
I readily share personal details with a group of REALLY close friends. But outside the circle (and within), i readily talk about sex too.
When I've had too much to drink, me too! :tongue2: Just kiddin'

Jokes and generalities are normal and nothing to get uptight about. Discussions with those who are close can be more candid when there is cause and/or mutual interest in discussing the topic, but discretion is a good policy especially out of respect for your partner.

I think I exhausted the possibilities of sex talk several years ago and it isn't even an interesting topic to me at this point.

Seems like a good place to say one of my favorite quotes:

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

It has all the properties of a good quote: it references sex, it's humorous, and it's TRUE!

Originally posted by KingNothing:
how comfortable are you with talking about sex?
My boyfriend and I are enjoying the dirty talk, we do it all the while, and it has spiced up our sex life and made it really erotic. :smile:

Masturbation is to sex what math is to physics - R. Feynman

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking:
Masturbation is to sex what math is to physics - R. Feynman
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that masturbating at home is not an offence, even if the activity can be seen by peeking neighbours. :smile:

Grace said:
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that masturbating at home is not an offence, even if the activity can be seen by peeking neighbours. :smile:
I might have to take them up on that offer just to prove a point :rofl:

ShawnD said:

apparently you haven't seen this

www.watchshawndbuzzoff.com[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
uhh , techical question, watz the chromosome for hemaphrodites?? xx,yy or xy

sorry i sux at bio

oops wrong section
ignore please

I think anyone who feels the need to share intimate details of their sex life with other people, even close friends, is either looking for attention or validation. General questions, jokes, and non personal statements are one thing. Bragging and/or giving graphic details is just a cry for love.

If you're gettin some, great- that's the extent of detail needed. Don't tell me what position or which condiments are used, I'll just walk away:P

Zantra said:
I think anyone who feels the need to share intimate details of their sex life with other people, even close friends, is either looking for attention or validation. General questions, jokes, and non personal statements are one thing. Bragging and/or giving graphic details is just a cry for love.

If you're gettin some, great- that's the extent of detail needed. Don't tell me what position or which condiments are used, I'll just walk away:P

This is your opinion remember.

If you have good evidence that this is fact, I'd be happy to see it.

I never get into details about me and partner. I'll say things about what I would like to try and what I like.

Originally posted by ShawnD:
Canadian Supreme Court Rules Flashing Children OK From Living Room Window

"A person has the freedom in his or her own living room to do whatever they choose to do and is not caught by the criminal law if they have no intent to offend or insult someone who may not be on that private property."

Story[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
This is your opinion remember.

If you have good evidence that this is fact, I'd be happy to see it.

I never get into details about me and partner. I'll say things about what I would like to try and what I like.

That is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it :biggrin:

If someone wants to learn something, it's very easy to generalize it instead of personalizing it. If you feel you HAVE to talk about yourself(and btw violate the trust of the other person while you're doing it) then you're obviously seeking approval. Every guy I've known who needed to share intimate details of their sex life is just bragging. I'm not saying it's unusal, but I'm just calling it like I see it. And I'm far from a prude. I'm just asking how some guy telling me that his girlfriend likes this position and dislikes that position benefits me?

Zantra said:
I'm just asking how some guy telling me that his girlfriend likes this position and dislikes that position benefits me?
I feel the same way, I couldn't be less interested in someone else's sex life and don't know why they would think I might be. :confused:

I find it interesting though.Certainly more spicy than politics,physics or fishing...

Daniel.

P.S.The human mind is perverted.Too bad many people don't realize it...:wink:

Grace said:
Talk about crying out for love! Peeping in your neighbor's window is an offense in the U.S. These people probably would love to hear about your sex life too, 'cuz that 1-900 bill can get pretty steep! Rat B******s should at least buy me dinner first! :rofl:

That is so true Daniel.

My sisters, my mother and I talk about sex openly all the time. I think by having parents that are open to talking about sex is a good thing. Seriously because it allows you to know exactly where your parents stand on the issue and there is no room for interpretation.

For religious reasons, I've chosen to remain abstenant until marriage. My boyfriend feels exactly the same way. We discussed it thoroughly before we even entered a relationship with one another.

I can't talk with my parents about sex, not even really about relationships. Which is fine, but when and if I have kids I'll be sure I can talk with them about it.