How comfortable are you with talking about sex?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, the people here are quite open about discussing sex. They are comfortable doing so and believe it is a good subject to discuss.
KingNothing
How open is a discussion about sex for the people here? I don't mean just on the forums, I mean in general: how comfortable are you with talking about sex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I'm typical. All of my research relates at least in some way to reproduction and reproductive behavior, so I talk about sex all the time. Thus, I'm quite comfortable talking about it. That doesn't mean I readily share personal details, but the subject in general is one I have no problem discussing.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I'm not an expert in biology, but I do like looking at it from a biological perspective as well as, you know...the other perspective.

I readily share personal details with a group of REALLY close friends. But outside the circle (and within), i readily talk about sex too.

Well there was this one time I was porkin this real fine broad, just going at it like two animals in heat and...

:tongue:

I have no prob discussing sex academically. As for my personal experiences, I've never had friends of a type with which that I would discuss such things.

Was there something you wanted to discuss, KN?

You'd probably get a lot of static from many posters, but a core group would surely try their best to have a serious discussion.

My private life is my private life. I don't discuss it.

Sure I discuss sex all the time. I wonder why it's generally such a "taboo" subject, or at least an uncomfortable one. Maybe we are taught from birth to think that way? They say a woman reaches her sexual peak when she's around 30, not because of hormones but rather because it takes them that long to loosen up and be able to be free with their sexuality because they are taught from such a young age that sex is bad or shameful. Not sure I entirely agree with all that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Sex is immoral just like downloading free music

Pseudopod said:
Sure I discuss sex all the time. I wonder why it's generally such a "taboo" subject, or at least an uncomfortable one. Maybe we are taught from birth to think that way? They say a woman reaches her sexual peak when she's around 30, not because of hormones but rather because it takes them that long to loosen up and be able to be free with their sexuality because they are taught from such a young age that sex is bad or shameful. Not sure I entirely agree with all that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Who is this "they" you refer to?

It's a myth. There was a study long ago in the 50s and 60s done that said women reached their sexual peak in their 30s but it really probably just found that because of how society changed at the time.

And no, there wasn't anything in specific I wanted to talk about, I just was thinking how its good to be open about such things in a relationship.

KingNothing said:
How open is a discussion about sex for the people here? I don't mean just on the forums, I mean in general: how comfortable are you with talking about sex?
I think this is a very interesting question - from the cultural anthropology perspective, at least. I had to think hard about who I will and will not speak openly with about sex. I won't talk about it with my parents and certain older relatives.

This made me think about which family members are culturally taboo as far as participating in this kind of discussion. I think my sister and I could probably have these discussions when she is older, but I don't ever want to talk about sex with my brothers.

I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not going to go there.

For a lot of you here commenting, remember this is a question for those who have done it.

For me, I'm pretty comfortable talking about it. I just won't give details about me and my gf.

I don't see the big deal. If you suck, you suck.

I am quite open and comfortable with the subject.

Ivan Seeking said:
I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not going to go there.
I would have believed that about you, Ivan. But never Saintly Tsu. o:)

Ivan Seeking said:

Like I said, I don't talk about personal details. :rofl:

JasonRox said:
For a lot of you here commenting, remember this is a question for those who have done it.

Nothing in the question implied it's only for those who have done it. I would hope people are able to talk about sex before they do it, otherwise they aren't going to be ready for it, either in terms of expectations, emotions, or disease/pregnancy prevention as applicable.

Math Is Hard said:
I would have believed that about you, Ivan. But never Saintly Tsu. o:)

You did see how much she enjoyed the tribdog torture thread, didn't you? :bugeye: :rofl:

I'm open to talking about details, but only with someone mature. Like as in, they won't say "dude, sweet, how was she?" and stuff like that. But giving advice is fun. And yes, I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.

Oh, for Pete's sake! Is there anyone who DOESN't enjoy torturing tribdog? That alone is worth the annual contribution.

KingNothing said:
I'm open to talking about details, but only with someone mature. Like as in, they won't say "dude, sweet, how was she?" and stuff like that. But giving advice is fun. And yes, I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.

Yes, you're right. If they aren't comfortable talking about things, they shouldn't do it.

No offense, but all the advice I have ever heard was terrible. From experience (not many), that all girls are different and in some cases completely different.

You should never say what is good. You should always say what you can try. I learned my lesson on that one.

KingNothing said:
I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.
Very good point. I think a couple that intend to or are engaging in sex need to be able to discuss it openly between themselves. It is no one elses business though.

When other people want to discuss their sex lives with me I find myself wondering why. If they have a problem and are honestly seeking advice, that's one thing, if they just want to talk about it, I wonder what is so lacking in their personal lives that they feel they need affirmation from me.

JasonRox said:
Yes, you're right. If they aren't comfortable talking about things, they shouldn't do it.

No offense, but all the advice I have ever heard was terrible. From experience (not many), that all girls are different and in some cases completely different.

You should never say what is good. You should always say what you can try. I learned my lesson on that one.
Jason, I'm impressed with you too. I didn't realize you guys had this level of maturity.

Evo said:
Jason, I'm impressed with you too. I didn't realize you guys had this level of maturity.

We will take that as a compliment.

One of the best a guy can get. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
We will take that as a compliment.

One of the best a guy can get. :biggrin:
Definitely a compliment!

JasonRox said:

That's very true, and an important lesson to have learned.

Yeah, girls vary extremely. What I meant for advice is on trying things. I never give bad advice. Ever.

I'm usually very comfortable talking about sex. But sometimes I'm reserved because of the way people respond. It usually depends on the company. I actually think its a really interesting topic, just because it varies so much from person to person. Course, personally i prefer to talk about Mental Sex, but eh, that's just me.

Do you mean the mental aspect of sex, imagining sex in your head, or a sort of simulation 'virtual reality' sex?

KingNothing said:
Do you mean the mental aspect of sex, imagining sex in your head, or a sort of simulation 'virtual reality' sex?

hehe... it was actually a thread i started a while ago, and i didn't quite come to a conclusion as to what i meant. Just sex with an emphasized mental aspect to it eh?

So, you still don't know what it means?

KingNothing said:

I've talked with friends about sex while eating lunch. I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with it. Some of us stopped eating after telling sex horror tales. :rofl:

I'll talk to anyone about anything... unless that anyone is my parents, then the topics become strictly limited.

Hmm, it depends. With a certain type of people, I'm usually quite open with it. These are people whose opinion I respect, and who I know can have a decent conversation about it. With being decent I mean being frank about without delving to much into the other's privacy. It's sometimes enlightening to talk about certain aspects.
After all, about many things we do we like to get an opinion of somonene else when we're in doubt. I don't think sex should be any different.

Where close friends are concerned, it depends. I have a few friends (both male and female) who tell me just about anything. Then others do not like to touch on the subject. It's just a matter of personal taste and upbringing. I'm ok with it, as long as they are. If they don't think it is a fitting conversation topic, I'll stay out of it.

While I think the taboo about sex is ridiculous, I do not expect of everyone to feel the same way about it. And even if you take it without the taboo, it is still an important thing in anyones life, and should not be blabbered about lightly.

"Originally Posted by Ivan Seeking
I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not going to go there. "

Arrrgghhh my eysesss... it burrrnsssssss...