How competitive is a 32 ACT score?

• Thread starter Jameson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act
In summary, Jameson has received a score of 32 on the ACT and is happy with it, although it is not exceptional. They are applying to Washington University in St. Louis, which is a competitive school, but also to other schools that are not as highly ranked. They are wondering if their score is good enough for admissions. The responder suggests that a score of 32 is in the 98th percentile and puts Jameson in the top 1-2% of students. They also suggest that taking the test again could potentially improve their score, but it is not necessary as a score of 32 is already impressive. They also mention that admissions decisions are based on more than just test scores. They provide this information as a
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I just got my score today, and I'm happy with it. It's not amazing, but decent. My top choice school is Washington University in St. Louis, but I'm applying to many schools a little less than the caliber. How do you think I'm doing just in this component?

Thanks,
Jameson

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A 32's pretty good, but it certainly wouldn't hurt you to take the test another time to see if you can bump it up a couple of points, to give you that extra edge. (Wash. U. is pretty competitive, after all.) In fact, there's a good chance that you'll do better without the pressure of having to do well the second time through. For example, after I took the SAT for the first time, I got a 1480, which is obviously good. However, because I got two wrong on the math portion through dumb mistakes, I decided to take it again. My second time through, I was so relaxed and calm about it that I ended up with a 1570 (this is through the old scoring system, of course).

32 is pretty good, not quite sure how it would correspond to the SAT score, it's certainly superior but not excellent in my opinion. It'll make an impression regarding your academic prowess, but they'll still look for your grades and other achievements to complement it.

I feel obligated to inform some of the opinions given here, just in case someone finds this thread using a search engine.

A score of 32 is fantastic. That score is in the 98th percentile. Because ACT scores follow a bell curve, any score from 32 to 36 (36 being perfect) puts you in the top 1-2 percent of student scores.

That being said, yes, Washington U is competitive. However, with a composite of 32, you won't be rejected because of your score; it will be because of a bad admissions essay or lack of involvement in activities or something like that.

Hopefully this will help anyone who is trying to actually get an accurate idea of where they stand with a given score.

This thread is 5-1/2 years old. The OP has graduated from college by now.

What is a 32 ACT score?

A 32 ACT score is a composite score on the ACT test, which is a standardized test used for college admissions in the United States. It is calculated by averaging the four sections of the test, which are English, Math, Reading, and Science.

Is a 32 ACT score considered competitive?

Yes, a 32 ACT score is considered a competitive score. According to the latest data from ACT, the national average ACT score is 20.8. A score of 32 puts you in the 97th percentile, meaning you scored higher than 97% of all test-takers. This makes you a strong candidate for admission to many colleges and universities.

What factors determine the competitiveness of a 32 ACT score?

The competitiveness of a 32 ACT score depends on various factors, such as the college or university you are applying to, the competitiveness of the applicant pool, and the other components of your application, such as GPA, extracurricular activities, and essays. A 32 ACT score can be particularly competitive for less selective schools, but may be less competitive for highly selective schools.

Is a 32 ACT score enough to get into top colleges?

A 32 ACT score is a strong score and can increase your chances of getting into top colleges and universities. However, it is not the only factor that colleges consider in the admission process. Top colleges also look at other components of your application, such as your GPA, extracurricular activities, and essays. It is important to have a well-rounded application in addition to a strong ACT score.

Can a 32 ACT score be improved?

Yes, a 32 ACT score can be improved. There are various resources available, such as study guides, practice tests, and tutoring services, that can help you improve your ACT score. It is also important to analyze your test results and identify areas where you can improve. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve your ACT score and reach your desired score.